Attempted to build a stack

MaoKhan

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
109
so the other day I dropped by Lowe's sp? thinking damn I'm going be pimp and build myself a folding stack. I eyeballed these copper/brass poles and bought a long ass peice of 1/8 inch pvc pipe. I cut the tubes up (not very good might I add, they weren't exactly straight) and the stack just doesn't stand. Now that I think about it, is it necessary to have the poles glued to a base? Man I really have no idea what I'm doing, got no equipment, and have way too much time. hahah

oh another thing, I noticed that one of the screw holes on one of my mobos are just way too close to the cpu heatsink to have pvc pipe there, maybe I'll just buy a cheap shoe stand, lol.
 
What I would do is use the pvc as spacers and run threaded rod inside of them. Tension the threaded rod with nuts and you'll notice the stack will have a lot more rigitity.

Perhaps some pictures of what you are attempting will help. :)
 
I just took a peek, and it seems K*'s foldserv tower pics are gone. They were really the ideal way you'd want to set something like this up in the manner Moose said. Threaded rod is really your best friend for something like this.

 
p[H]ant0m said:
I just took a peek, and it seems K*'s foldserv tower pics are gone. They were really the ideal way you'd want to set something like this up in the manner Moose said. Threaded rod is really your best friend for something like this.


Yeah, it sucks that those pics are gone. That was an awesome setup.
 
I went to a surplus store a couple years ago and found basically mobo standoffs on crack.

They were about 6 inches long, 8/32 threaded male on one end and female on the other. Made of brass, and the main body was about 3/8s of an inch wide hexagon.

I'd give my second cpu core to get a tower made of those. Made one back then for a friend. Sturdy as hell.

.
 
Back
Top