ATI 9000 will not overclock

I'm trying to get my ATI 9000 128meg VIVO PCI vid card to overclock (I don't know who really made it, but supposedly all of this type were made by Visiontek). The stock settings are 250/225. I know the RAM should work at at least 250 because it is 4ns, so I don't think it's a hardware speed issue. As soon as I overclock anything, the VPU recover thing kicks in and resets the settings.

I have W1zzard's drivers installed (after totally removing the ATI ones) and am trying to use RadLinker. I tried Rage3d tuner and it really messed up everything (the system was pretty much unusable).

If it means anything, my BIOS information thing says BK AMI VER008 004 008 000.

Thanks in advance.

Found the same problem with a R7000 I installed in someone's computer. I couldn't raise the core or mem even 1Mhz without the screen going wacky (had VPU recover turned off, but not even sure if it's supported on a 7000).

Prime

BigBadBiologist said:
I'm trying to get my ATI 9000 128meg VIVO PCI vid card to overclock (I don't know who really made it, but supposedly all of this type were made by Visiontek). The stock settings are 250/225. I know the RAM should work at at least 250 because it is 4ns, so I don't think it's a hardware speed issue. As soon as I overclock anything, the VPU recover thing kicks in and resets the settings.

I have W1zzard's drivers installed (after totally removing the ATI ones) and am trying to use RadLinker. I tried Rage3d tuner and it really messed up everything (the system was pretty much unusable).

If it means anything, my BIOS information thing says BK AMI VER008 004 008 000.

Thanks in advance.
Don't bother overclocking, it isn't worth it.

1_ Those things are made with older process technology, ATI had already found the sweet point for the clock frequency.

2_ It is an old inefficient GPU liken to P4s in the sense that it gained very little with core clock increments.

3_ Memory increments are most beneficial, and it still gained little from that relative to other designs being less efficient.

4_ Think of it as if you're doing an Electroporation, once the optimum voltages and currents are found and already dialed in for use. Greater levels simply caused greater damages to your samples rather than improving anything. In fact the breach damages to the input logic gates are exactly the same as cell membrane disruptions with exception of non self-healing.

Basicly you will only make it to have much greater instability than anything else.

But anyway, the issue really isn't wheter it is worth it, it is that I want to do it and it won't work and it should.

This video card is in an old SV25 system. I realize that the majority of the performance increase will be from my overclocked CPU which overclocks the PCI bus (the real bottleneck of this system). However, I really think that if I could get the video memory speed up, it would help out a bit.

Back