ATH W1000

dslrjunky

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
2,256
is it a good buy coming from a Beyer DT770 I sold it probably for more than 6 mos. now and have some surplus funds after buying some camera lens and laser printer...

someone was selling it for $350 10hrs burn-in <2mos old...

what should I expect coming from a BD DT770 80ohm

sound?
comfort?
sturdiness?
I listen to random music and watch alot of movies too.. no HD yet
 
Less harsh, bright, and treble emphasis, more bass, upfront..This is what the 1000s are not. A lil dark, laid back back compared to the 770s...Less bass quantity, but more controled and defined..Sound is richer..They excell with japanese acoustics and other string instruments..Still sounds good with other genres.
 
Couple things to note:

All the ATH headphones are generally large and loose fitting, but comfortable. Also, the W1000 likes to have tube amps and one particular amp that seems to have people going crazy over it is the Yamamoto. People seem to love the W1000 and Yamamoto almost as much as K701 with the Heed.

Quotes from Head-Fi:

"They are very musical and are since a few years now my favorite cans. But they are not very detailed, they don't have much bass and they most certainly don't have recessed mids. When you want all that you'd better get Beyer DT880."

Some guys responding to a W1000 VS W5000 post:

"The sound character of both is such that the midrange is the star of the show. Both provide crystal clear clarity, which when paired with the wrong amp, may come across as etched or tipped up.

The major difference between the two as I hear things is balance, top to bottom range-wise. Where the 1Ks’ mid-range is quite sweet, the 5Ks have more and better delineated bass and a high end that is a bit smoother. Thus, I could see some see the 1Ks midrange as better when, in reality the 5Ks' mids are equal or better but just not as prominent. The 5Ks also provide a slightly larger soundstage as well.

To me, both cans work best with tubes. That said, the 5Ks work better with a much wider variety of amps and do well with SS also. Because of this, I believe that the 5Ks are without a doubt the better (overall) set of cans.

Until recently, the 5Ks where paired with my Opera in my work office and I thought that they worked just fine together. My 702s have taken their place as my 5Ks are now at home doing time with the Yammy and Cayin.

With that said, I still prefer the 1Ks with my Yammy. The two were literally made for each other as Yamamoto Sound Craft provides the cups for the 1Ks.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Garry"

Comparisons between some high-end ATH: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my...-a900ti-d2000-stax-2050ii-w1000-w5000-369671/
 
Back
Top