Atari VCS Pre-order info in April

jardows

2[H]4U
Just received an email advising that the Atari VCS (formerly Ataribox) will have pre-order information available in April. Also, a few images of prototype controllers were released.

While still quite short on any information regarding technical specs, Atari does state it will be a full-powered PC that will be able to play vintage Atari games (Note, they do not say just Atari 2600 games) as well as modern titles. What, exactly the hardware will be able to play remains to be seen.

Article on Gamespot
Article on Verge
Official Site

Cool looking unit, but way too vague on hardware and software details.

Cool looking unit, but way too vague on hardware and software details.

I totally agree. The nostalgia factor goes well beyond NES/SNES classic. Atari has made some pretty fun games for arcade, and being able to play those at home would be nice. As with anything, the library of games will be key. If Atari can make some good games optimized for the hardware, it could make this a good buy. Since it will be standard x86 hardware running a linux kernel, you wouldn't be limited on what you can do like an Xbox or Playstation. Pricing and specs will be key, but hopefully they don't delay again and we will see in April.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why buy a gimmicky piece of hardware when you can just buy ATARI Vault on Steam for 10 bucks?

Just use this, and it will feel authentic :D

https://www.amazon.com/Innex-Retro-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9WYHW6KAMXVDXV236GE8

VCS will be running the exact same set of games on the exact same emulation. And you won't get to pick your own controller, because one-off "console" with no third-party support.
But from what is described, the Atari VCS is not just going to be a gimmicky piece of hardware. Unfortunately, we don't know exactly what the hardware is going to be, but it is described as a "custom AMD" solution. I expect it to be along the lines of Xbox or PS in design. If Atari just bundles it with an emulator and lets you do whatever, the performance/style/price will determine what it is worth as a mini-pc. If Atari makes a good UI and then develops games for the platform (which would be Linux native, so wouldn't be locked to the VCS) this could be very interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Right now, it just sounds like the Infinium Labs Phantom all over again, but a decade later and with a nostalgic brand and styling behind it.

I can't say I'm impressed at the moment until I know more. I'd sooner get my hands on an actual VCS/2600 (yeah, the new VCS is gonna cause lots of confusion with that name, just like the PSX DVR), 5200, 7800, 800, ST, Jaguar and Lynx if this thing's just going to be an emulation box. (Probably the ST first out of all of those, even if it's just a poor man's Amiga; the MIDI interface on those things is said to be pretty rock-solid.)

Arcade cabinets are trickier to collect for obvious reasons, but just imagine plugging in a modern force-feedback wheel, pedals and shifter, and being able to play Hard/Race Drivin' like you were at the arcade... needless to say, that's not something MAME will let you pull off.

If they're going to use the Atari name like certain other companies do with the Commodore/Amiga branding these days, they might as well go the extra mile with the emulation experience.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Oh this is great. Probably going to have to pick one up for party games.

Back