ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

redmasc

Gawd
My current SR-2 set up is approaching 5 years and I'm getting the refresh bug. I was thinking of getting this board, ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS, and was wondering if it only accepts ECC memory. I'd prefer to use non ecc since its cheaper and I don't need that kind of memory stability since I'm not using this as a server role. I've searched around but it doesn't state anywhere that if it could use non ecc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SR-2 is still no slouch.

I would go with a Supermicro X10DAX. Not a huge fan of Asus with all the RMA horror stories.

The approved memory list is only ECC so would not use non-ecc. Buy ram as server pulls off ebay saves a bunch.

op id wait till next year samdung might release a unlocked zen flagship 16 core or intel will finally unlock xeons to compete with samdung if samdung is competitive and gives them a run for their money,

op id wait till next year samdung might release a unlocked zen flagship 16 core or intel will finally unlock xeons to compete with samdung if samdung is competitive and gives them a run for their money,

Intel Xeons are unlocked, single-socket that is. Dual-socket Xeons will never be unlocked due to stability problems at overclocking.

Ok, so I finally bit the bullet and bought this Asus board with 2 Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 chips and now I'm having an issue with booting and was wondering if anyone might have some insights on the problem. I have only 1 CPU socket occupied right now with 1 ecc ram stick in the recommended slot and it's giving a B0 error (Runtime Set Virtual Address MAP Begins), and 1 long beep 2 short beeps. I tried googling the B0 error but I can't find any solid leads. I tried some different ecc memory and it still does the same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks guys. I'll contact him shortly. Hopefully I get this figured out soon.

One of my friends had this problem.

eventually he figured out you need to have a keyboard and mouse plugged in for the mobo to boot.

This can be disabled in the BIOS, but is required for first boot.

I also had one of these mobos that was DOA. RMA'd it and everything worked great.

Why not ask Asus? :confused:

Definitely contact ASUS.

I found out that these WS mobo's get pretty good support.

Had similar problems and their advice fixed it for me... my mobo is the Z10PE-D8 WS with 2 E5-2699v3:

Dear SpeedyVV,

Thank you for your trust in our ASUS support.
My name is Alex and it is my pleasure to help you with the issue.

Feel free to rate our service according to the solution provided in the questionnaire that will be sent to you shortly after our reply to your inquiry.

I recommend a CMOS reset in this case. Please unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for 3 minutes. Then place it back in. While the power cord is still unplugged, press the power button down for 10 seconds to power discharge the unit. Check if all the power and sata cables are properly connected and after this plug the power cord again and restart.

Also try to power up the motherboard with minimum configuration: 1 single RAM (on A1, or B1, try swapping), one HDD, take out the CPU carefully and inspect the socket, look for bent/damaged pins, ensure that the CPU is re-inserted correctly, the VGA (if you have a dedicated graphics card, make sure it is correctly inserted in the PCI-E slot) and make sure that the PSU functions and its powerfull enough to start the system.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Alex

ASUS Technical Support,

ASUS USA
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

Please keep the history of your e-mails sent to you by our Support Staff. Otherwise, we won't be able to analyse your case properly.

---------- Original Message ----------
To : "[email protected]"
Subject : Server Z10PE-D8 WS

[Product Information]
Product Type : Server
Product Model : Z10PE-D8 WS
Product S/N : E8S1YZ001230
Place of Purchase : Amazon
Date of Purchase : 2015/02/12

[CPU Specification]
CPU Vendor : Intel
CPU Type : Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3
CPU Speed : 2.3G

[Memory Specification]
Memory Vendor : CORSAIR
Memory Model : CT4C16G4RFD4213
Memory Capacity : 64 GB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : WD
HDD Model : Red
HDD Capacity : 6TB

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor : EVGA
Add-on Card Type : VGA
Add-on Card Model : GTX 680
Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

[Problem Description]
When I turn on the system for the first time, the system hangs with Q-code 67.

The screen does not turn on. This makes it impossible for me to check the BIOS
version or any other info.

I tried booting with just 1 CPU, swapped CPUs, with same result.

Please advise.

Thank you, SpeedyVV

Any progress on this system ?
I'm curious about the whole 'dual cpu motherboard' debate .... I do like ASUS but I'm new to the 'workstation' class....

I'm on the 'wait' list for a pair of Xeon e5-2687 v4's .

For what I'm gonna pay for those , I'm not interested in a shitty mobo. I want the best one on the market.

All I can say is I've been running this sucker pretty much 24/7 for over a year and no complains so far.

Does anyone know whether two Noctua C14S fits this board? If not, what's the best top down that could fit?

Last edited:
One of my friends had this problem.

eventually he figured out you need to have a keyboard and mouse plugged in for the mobo to boot.

This can be disabled in the BIOS, but is required for first boot.

I also had one of these mobos that was DOA. RMA'd it and everything worked great.

These motherboards use the ATS2400 management controller and have software support that's similar to the Dell iDRAC or the HP ILO. I have never used it, but on those types of systems you never need a mouse or keyboard to get the system going in most cases. At least, depending on how you have the infrastructure set up for building out servers that are to be remotely managed.

Here my rig is 2699v3
Having the same issue b0 error stuck at. I tried with two processors .
And single processor. Bout b0 error .
But same motherboard with 2698 v4 working fine without any error .
Ram is 2133 ecc crucial ram
Z10 Pe d16 ws
E5 2699 v3 ( not working)
E5 2698 v4 (working)

On same motherboard and ram 2698 v4 working but 2699 v3 is not working
Stuck at b0 code and getting beep at runtime set virtual address map begin.

If you solved your issue can you please suggest me how can this solved.

Here my rig is 2699v3
Z10 Pe d16 ws
E5 2698 v4 (working)

Here my rig is 2699v3
Z10 Pe d16 ws
E5 2698 v4 (working)

I recommend a CMOS reset.
  1. Unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for 3 minutes.
  2. Then place it back in.
  3. While the power cord is still unplugged, press the power button down for 10 seconds to power discharge the unit.
  4. Check if all the power and sata cables are properly connected and after this plug the power cord again and restart.

Also try to power up the motherboard with minimum configuration: 1 single RAM (on A1, or B1, try swapping), one HDD, take out the CPU carefully and inspect the socket, look for bent/damaged pins.

Ensure that the CPU is re-inserted correctly, the VGA (if you have a dedicated graphics card, make sure it is correctly inserted in the PCI-E slot) and make sure that the PSU functions and its powerfull enough to start the system.

Good luck.

Here my rig is 2699v3
Z10 Pe d16 ws
E5 2698 v4 (working)

Did you ever sort out the issue with the v3 processors? I ask because I am having the same issue on the same board (error b0 with same beep code) with Dual Zeon E5 2695 v3's. Tried both single and dual configs. The Asus support page for this mobo states it supports these v3 processors, but if you are having this same issue, then it makes me wonder if my CPU's are not actually supported.

Back