asus VG248qe 144hz questions

mm622449

Weaksauce
Just got my asus VG248qe 144hz monitor....

CPU:
AMD x6 1045t 2.7GHZ
8GB DDR5 mem
Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

I play primarly CS:GO and FPS shooters.... Should I have GPU scaling enabled? What other options should I have on? Obviously I have 144hz enabled, but besides that...

Also, what resolution should I run the monitor at for windows / desktop mode? When I enable 4:3 and try and play at some of the other resolutions they look insanely stretched cuz of the monitor....?

GPU scaling is for playing at non native resolutions, where you adjust the screen size/aspect ratio, etc. .I believe those are either handled by the GPU or by the monitor, although not sure how gpu scaling affects text quality. Its never needed if ur playing at native res.

And if you're playing CS:Go, do yourself a fvor and grab a very cheap Geforce 4xx or 500x 3d vision 2 capable card (i dont know how low the reange goes for it) and then do a quick install of the drivers and enable lightboost on your monitor, then uninstall the drivers and reinstall the AMD driverrs. After using the CRU lightboost.bin, you'lll always have it enabled. And you can enable "LCD reduced" mode in CRU to get back non LB 144hz mode again anytime.

GPU scaling is for playing at non native resolutions, where you adjust the screen size/aspect ratio, etc. .I believe those are either handled by the GPU or by the monitor, although not sure how gpu scaling affects text quality. Its never needed if ur playing at native res.

And if you're playing CS:Go, do yourself a fvor and grab a very cheap Geforce 4xx or 500x 3d vision 2 capable card (i dont know how low the reange goes for it) and then do a quick install of the drivers and enable lightboost on your monitor, then uninstall the drivers and reinstall the AMD driverrs. After using the CRU lightboost.bin, you'lll always have it enabled. And you can enable "LCD reduced" mode in CRU to get back non LB 144hz mode again anytime.

What Falkentyne said is correct, & you should try to always play @ 1080p, everything looks better on LCD monitors at native resolution.
But wait, Falkentyne, are you saying that you can enable Lightboost on AMD cards if you get an LB 2 enabled card, install it etc, then reinstall AMD drivers and it will work??

All you have to do is put the monitor into 3D mode once, with an Nvidia supported card *OR* laptop, by doing the stereoscopic test in the NV control panel (and making sure the monitor switches into 3d mode once). This initrializes the lightboost hardware in the monitor. Then once you use the lightboost.bin file on your AMD rig, lightboost will remain enablled. the trick is to NOT unplug the monitor. You can just power it off and swap the DVI cable to the AMD card/system. You can power it off with the power button and it still keeps the LB setting.

The hard part is getting lightboost enabled on the Nvidia hardware.
You can even do this with an Nvidia laptop with a DVI->HDMI adapter, but getting the 120hz lightboost 1920x (1149 lines) resolution to work will be VERY tricky...and if it does, you will get a "cable incorrect" message on the monitor, in pink tint (if its pink, it means it's in 3D mode).

You can even do this with an Nvidia laptop with a DVI->HDMI adapter, but getting the 120hz lightboost 1920x (1149 lines) resolution to work will be VERY tricky...and if it does, you will get a "cable incorrect" message on the monitor, in pink tint (if its pink, it means it's in 3D mode).
Not all LightBoost monitors seems to have a pink tint. I've heard of VG248QE's that didn't have a pink tint -- and my VG278H has relatively good out-of-box LightBoost colors that is more comfortable looking than the BENQ XL2411T's picture.

I have a question, in my NVidia control panel for my gtx 580 scaling is set to GPU only option there ,is this normal?

You can use lightboost via strobelight app via blurblusters on AMD cards without needing an Nvidia card.

Back