a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
Uuuuuummmmm, yes and no, not really.

Yes, wireless has got much better since 54g, with Mimo access points/routers and dual band and dual band mimo, things are leaps and bounds ahead of where they used to be.

And no, not really because online gaming relies (mainly) on 2 things, low latency and low/no interference. Bottom line, if you can, go wired.

I think you will only see really detrimental effects in absolutely the most extreme of circumstances, like if you were trying to game while utilizing most, if not all of your bandwidth, or if you were in a heavily congested area for the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

In reality, you're not really gonna be doing that at the same time so you will most likely be fine 99% of the time gaming on wireless. Certainly if you are using a relatively new router/access point.

If you're in a really busy area with heavily congested channels, well, that's another story, 5Ghz is your friend.

Good luck, but from what I've read, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the later models of the Asus routers.

The ASUS RT-N66U has some of the best wireless coverage in its class. I own three of them and they are absolute monsters (in a good way). You won't be disappointed.

Having not personally used a consumer router for quite some time, I would have to go with others recommendations.

For instance, as Phog says, they are serious routers, besides, a little future-proofing never did anyone any harm!:)

If I was in the market for a new consumer router, I would certainly look very closely at the RT-N66U.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought one, I'm not sure, but I think it may support some of the more popular dd-wrt, tomato, a.n.other firmwares. Chances are, if you find something the stock firmware can't do, I'm pretty sure there's another firmware out there that will do it.

Plus, a firmware change won't (I dont't think) void your warranty, if you find there's an issue, re-flash the stock firmware and RMA it!

Win-win situation, go and buy one :D

Back