ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti Platinum Edition Part 1 @ [H]

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jun 26, 2017.

1. lostin3d

lostin3d Limp Gawd

jnemesh I totally agree with your plan. If I needed to build something new I would do pretty much the exact same.

Well if you really don't mind the support issues of SLI then 1080TI SLI will definitely get a solid 60+ fps in 4k. My 1080SLI averages 50-70 w/ v-sync and everything maxed at 4096x2160 for games that support it. I recommend doing TI over regular 1080's because of the Vram size. At 4k high end games get hungry(the new motto is they use what you give 'em). I've seen many games at max using 5-8GB and when I tested my TI on 4k w/ ROTR maxed it went over 10. I strongly advise learning about SLI-bits and NV profile inspector. Here's a good site from Germany that has an amazing forum regarding such:

http://www.3dcenter.org/

I just started learning about them a year or so ago and its made a huge difference when either NV or game dev's aren't on the ball with good support. There's a few other sites but just google 'SLI Bits' whenever you have a game w/ issues and you might find a solution.

I understand not wanting to do the waiting game as there's so many unknowns with it. I'm pretty sure the next TI or whatever it may be called will be a true 4k card as this one got pretty close but who know when or what it will be.

jnemesh likes this.
  2. Jrees

Jrees n00bie

It's already packed up and was dropped off at UPS this morning to send it back to Newegg. It's within their return window, and although curious to see if the block was making good contact it just wasn't worth the hassle (or risk) to satisfy that curiousity. I see part 2 is up now, and the temps they hit on the review are far superior to mine. Hopefully the replacement is fine.

3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/07/10/asus_rog_poseidon_gtx_1080_ti_platinum_edition_part_2

ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti Platinum Edition - Part 2
    It’s time to let the liquid flow and put the ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti Platinum Edition to the ultimate test. We will connect a Koolance Liquid Cooling System and test GPU frequency, gaming performance, and push the video card as hard as possible for its best overclock. Let’s find out what a little liquid can do for a GTX 1080 Ti.

4. Jrees

Jrees n00bie

RMAd the card and ordered an EVGA HydroCopper instead. I emailed Asus support for an update and was told "As of this writing the Development and Research Team is still gathering reports from users that has been having the same issue with the actual unit that you have returned to Newegg, I am sad that the experience that you had with the unit was different from what the unit was intended for. If incase I receive any update I reach out to you and provide you with the update".

I don't know if the model has issues in general, but I wasn't willing to chance it.

Armenius likes this.
  5. Jrees

Jrees n00bie

Just a follow up. The Hydro Copper arrived and is in my system. The card idles at 32C (Poseidon was 39-40). When I OC this card and run a couple Furmarks it caps out at 39-40C. The previous card would shoot into the 80s damn near instantly and would throttle at 90C.

Very happy to say this card is working as advertised.

Armenius and mikecli like this.