"Asus P5LD2: Dual Core Ready" 'Uh no sir, it isn't'

Celestial Avenger

Limp Gawd
OK, here's what I have in there. Windows isn't installed yet due to supposed 'hard drive' errors that occur after all the drivers load off the install CD.

Pentium D 820 2.8GHz
1GB DDR2-PC4200 RAM
MSI Radeon X800 Pro
160GB EIDE HD

I have called Asus' tech support. I was not pleased.

Me: "I have a Pentium D 2.8 GHz--"
"Ah, that's your problem."
Me: "OK?"
"You need to get a lesser processor or flash the bios."
Me: "Why? The box for the motherboard says 'Dual-Core Ready' yet it isn't even ready!?
*dodges question* "Did you buy the processor at a retail location? Well you need to return it and get a lesser processor--"
Me: "That's not an option. I'll just flash the BIOS."
"You need to remove the BIOS and mail it to us to flash it."
Me: "Bye."

I'm going to flash the bios myself in the morning, but I'm a little bit miffed at this whole situation. How can they label this motherboard as "dual-core ready"? It seemed to find the processor fine, plus the first screen that showcases the ASUS logo even has in the bottom-right corner a big "PENTIUM D" logo showcasing how great they are. :mad:

ok... so just flash the bios... whats wrong with that? Its not a big deal...

The Chipset might be dual core ready as for its core logic, but maybe it just needs to update the CPU microcode with a bios flash, no big deal

P5ND2 I know has the nForce4 chipset which doesn't work well with the 820. I haven't heard of the i945 (which your board has right?) not working well with the 820.

USMC2Hard4U said:
ok... so just flash the bios... whats wrong with that? Its not a big deal...

The Chipset might be dual core ready as for its core logic, but maybe it just needs to update the CPU microcode with a bios flash, no big deal
the issue is that fact that it says its DUAL core ready on the box yet it takes extra effort to actually do such things.

Celestial Avenger said:
The BIOS update didn't help one bit. What options do I have?
quite possibly sending them the BIOS so they can do what ever shit they didnt do during the manufacturing phase.

other than that.... refund and exchange. Sorry man, that or wait for another BIOS update. Im only bad immediate fixes here.

On one side of the fence, you can wait it out until Asus gets their ass in check and produces a proper working, dual core supporting BIOS. on the other, you get to play with the refund system of what ever company/retailer you went through for the mobo and sit computerless for what could possibly be weeks.

Your seeing where im going with all this.

From everything i've read, the Nforce4 chipset doesn't support the 2.8D, only the 3.0D and up...

For instance at zipzoomfly, they list the P5ND2-SLI deluxe edition, and in the description text: "Supports all Intel Dual-Core processors EXCEPT Pentium D 820."

Anyone else with the same problem here ? I had my heart set on this motherboard, and pair it with at least an 830.

If it is recognizing the cpu fine and even displaying the proper picture, then the problem is not with the bios finding the cpu. You have another issue...like a piece of flaky hardware or a misconfigured bios. Or perhaps a faulty disc/cdrom drive. But it's most likely not some crazy bios issue with the Pentium D. Try booting off a knoppix disc or a gentoo live CD and see if it goes okay.

have you tried a different hard drive? Usually if a cpu doesn't work with a motherboard, it will not post.

I put an 830 on one, worked like a champ after a bios flash. Had to buy a celeron to get it to even boot for the flash, though.

Back