ASUS Offers Solutions To Intel Sandy Bridge Issue

HardOCP News

[H] News
We just got this press release from the folks at ASUS. If you recently purchased an ASUS motherboard and are affected by the Intel Sandy Bridge issue, please take the time to read this:

ASUS has finalized initial internal discussions outlining our strategy and process to fully support our customers for the replacement or refund of products containing the affected Intel 6 Series support chipset. In addition, we have created a dedicated website that outlines our response, describes options for the return or refund of products and a workaround solution for current owners of these products. The site is located here, and contains general information, step by step directions, service registration form and contact information for our valued customers.

• Product replacements will be new products and based on current Intel schedules, they should be the same product that the customer currently owns and will be available in several weeks. ASUS will handle product replacements directly with customers currently owning the affected products outlined here - http://service.asus.com/notice/Overview.aspx#affected . If the customer is not satisfied with the free replacement service, then we sincerely ask that they contact their E-tailer or actual place of purchase for a refund now. ASUS will also cover shipping costs for customers wanting a direct replacement product. This includes standard two-way shipping for the return of affected product and the delivery of equivalent/new products.
  • Although advanced RMA options are offered on our standard range of motherboards in the first year (P8P67 PRO and above) of warranty, we will extend this advanced RMA option to all products affected by this Cougar Point design error. Details of this option are available here - http://service.asus.com/notice/FAQ.aspx .
  • Potential warranty adjustments or any items related to new warranty terms are still under discussion locally. In the meantime, our standard warranty and terms of service apply for any affected products shipped to customers.
  • This customer care response plan is specific for products purchased in North America (USA and Canada). Other regions might have a different policies or procedures pertaining to the replacement or refund of affected products. We ask that customers outside of North America please contact their local region for instructions.

Anyone see anything about the possibility of upgrading to the next gen chipset? No? Then fuck you ASUS. Congratulations, you're mediocre and can't stand above the other vendors :rolleyes:

Anyone see anything about the possibility of upgrading to the next gen chipset? No? Then fuck you ASUS. Congratulations, you're mediocre and can't stand above the other vendors :rolleyes:

Are you out of your mind? You expect Asus to provide you the means to upgrade to the next gen chipset? I'd say you should just return your board to whoever you purchased it from and then buy a new board later if you want the next gen chipset. You're lucky you have the option to rma right now without a penalty.

What makes you think you have a right to upgrade to the next gen chipset just because Intel has made a defective product. The policy on the return from Asus seems to be very fair. My advice to you would be to return your board for a refund and when the next gen chipset comes out, buy it. Do you think by using foul language that you will get your way? Grow up!!

Intel made a bad product and ASUS is being generous enough to let you get a full refund via an extended RMA period or wait and get a brand new replacement board.

Perhaps you should go complain to Intel instead of ASUS...

:rolleyes: to YOU.

Are you out of your mind? You expect Asus to provide you the means to upgrade to the next gen chipset? I'd say you should just return your board to whoever you purchased it from and then buy a new board later if you want the next gen chipset. You're lucky you have the option to rma right now without a penalty.

Upgrading - as in paying more for having the option to upgrade to Z67 by the time we finally get a replacement in March/April. Tiger direct is even offering free SATA PCI. You're out of your mind if you think anything other than this is the bare minimum that a major competitor should be doing.

Lucky to have an option to RMA at all? You're funny :p

What makes you think you have a right to upgrade to the next gen chipset just because Intel has made a defective product. The policy on the return from Asus seems to be very fair. My advice to you would be to return your board for a refund and when the next gen chipset comes out, buy it. Do you think by using foul language that you will get your way? Grow up!!

Cool story, bro.

You do not deserve anything more than a relatively hassle free replacement of the defective product you purchased with an identical product in terms of feature set and value. I think comments like yours simply illustrate the sense of entitlement people have these days. A sense that is unjustified and totally unwarranted. Despite what your parents may have told you growing up, you aren't special. :rolleyes:

Cyraxx, well maybe you should contact your place of purchase, instead of Asus, yell and swear at them and maybe they will offer you a free.................... LMAO!!!!

You do not deserve anything more than a relatively hassle free replacement of the defective product you purchased with an identical product in terms of feature set and value. I think comments like yours simply illustrate the sense of entitlement people have these days. A sense that is unjustified and totally unwarranted. Despite what your parents may have told you growing up, you aren't special. :rolleyes:

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.

Nice of ASUS to even offer the advanced RMA option, with your CC number, they ship you the new board, you swap them and then ship them back the old one postage paid... :)

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.

So let's hear an example out of your own experience in running a company/business, not an example of a manager fearing getting shitcanned from a higher up.

Cyraxx, you keep referring to Tiger Direct, did you buy the board directly from Asus? If not, then contact your place of purchase and ask them for some free stuff. Just because someone is inconvienced does not mean they are entitled to anything. Life is full of setbacks, mishaps, etc, deal with it.

what a wonderful comparison - a local deli owner with one dissatisfied customer, versus a mass-distributed product. it's much easier for that manager to toss out $30 to the 6 or so customers he pisses off this fiscal year. Dan is right, this is a shining example of the unjustified sense of entitlement people have.

when the next recall is issued on my GMC sierra, i'll make sure to demand that my dealership replaces it with a C6 vette.

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you?

Feeling a mild case of entitlement?

For one customer like you, I'm sure there are plenty more who understand what is fair value.

Lol, my father owned a reataurant and it is very easy to comp a desert (which has a profit margin of over 500%) to some jerk customer just to keep his mouth shut. Then that customer feels like they have won the lottery. Cyraxx, quit now before you get buried.

So if someone makes a mistake kissing your ass and giving you free stuff is the only way to make you happy? I understand that many customers are idiots and whiny bitches who feel they are entitled to free stuff whenever things don't always go there way or someone makes a mistake. I've worked on the service end of things and I know just how unreasonable the customer can be in the face of human error. And yeah, a refund is more than ASUS has to give you. All they are legally obligated to give you is a comparable product which is free of defects in workmanship. That's all. Refunds in most retail purchase type situations aren't a "right." In fact you only usually get that if you return the product to the store within the exchange period.

As for the rest, there is no known risk to your hardware. The issue has not been proven to damage data on a drive or drives themselves. It is a manufacturing defect which will effect the performance of the product over a long period of time in most cases with something like a 5%-15% failure rate. I'm sorry but this isn't remotely getting shafted by Intel or ASUS. If you want to see the definition of getting shafted in this industry I'd suggest you look up the 680i SLI motherboard and the 7950GX2 video cards. The Cougar Point issue is really a speed bump of inconvenience. Even if it weren't I don't deserve (or even want) garbage like a badly performing PCI SATA card for my troubles.

Lol, my father owned a reataurant and it is very easy to comp a desert (which has a profit margin of over 500%) to some jerk customer just to keep his mouth shut. Then that customer feels like they have won the lottery. Cyraxx, quit now before you get buried.

McDonalds does this too, every time someone complains they give them a free breakfast coupon to shut up...

Cyraxx, you keep referring to Tiger Direct, did you buy the board directly from Asus? If not, then contact your place of purchase and ask them for some free stuff. Just because someone is inconvienced does not mean they are entitled to anything. Life is full of setbacks, mishaps, etc, deal with it.

Actually, since ASUS deals directly with Intel, they have it easier than a retailer does - but cool story bro.

Thats just retarded! Cyraxx You = entitlement generation:rolleyes:

Entitled to a satisfying purchase? Why yes, yes I do! ;) You must be from the generation of bending over and taking it :D But also, cool story bro.

what a wonderful comparison - a local deli owner with one dissatisfied customer, versus a mass-distributed product. it's much easier for that manager to toss out $30 to the 6 or so customers he pisses off this fiscal year. Dan is right, this is a shining example of the unjustified sense of entitlement people have.

when the next recall is issued on my GMC sierra, i'll make sure to demand that my dealership replaces it with a C6 vette.

Read some more into it broshenski, I said opportunity to upgrade - as in paying more. If I can't get the correct board until the time it takes for the next generation comes out, I should have the opportunity to shell out some extra and get the next gen since I wasn't able to use the current gen in the mean time (as much as 3+ months). But go ahead and give it your all for the reading comprehension lessons again brochacho.

McDonalds does this too, every time someone complains they give them a free breakfast coupon to shut up...

Well in the fast food industry the amount of margin they have to work with is well above 50%. In the computer industry margins for hardware aren't nearly that high. The only area there is anywhere near that kind of margin is going to be accessories such as cables.

Actually, since ASUS deals directly with Intel, they have it easier than a retailer does - but cool story bro.

Entitled to a satisfying purchase? Why yes, yes I do! ;) You must be from the generation of bending over and taking it :D But also, cool story bro.

Read some more into it broshenski, I said opportunity to upgrade - as in paying more. If I can't get the correct board until the time it takes for the next generation comes out, I should have the opportunity to shell out some extra and get the next gen since I wasn't able to use the current gen in the mean time (as much as 3+ months). But go ahead and give it your all for the reading comprehension lessons again brochacho.

What makes you think you won't be able to get a replacement board before the next generation of Intel chipsets hit?

You end every sentence with cool story bro! My 16 yr old does that too. I don't need to bend over and take it I'm just smart and not a whiny ass little bitch like yourself. :eek:

so much 'bro' in one post. but you're correct, broheim, i should have said that i would demand they give me my full purchasing-price towards a C6 vette. see how the absurdity remains?

Could always sell the board you get in replacement to offset the cost in the next couple of months. Its not the end of the world and nothing is stopping you from doing so.

Unless, you don't even have the hardware to begin with.

Anyways, that's like purchasing something (car, house, etc) today with the knowledge of something better/different is coming out tomorrow. Would you expect an upgrade path be offered to you? As far as I know, everyone knew Z68 was to be released this year.

cool story bro

Well in the fast food industry the amount of margin they have to work with is well above 50%. In the computer industry margins for hardware aren't nearly that high. The only area there is anywhere near that kind of margin is going to be accessories such as cables.

What makes you think you won't be able to get a replacement board before the next generation of Intel chipsets hit?

I don't - which is very much why I said this should be an option. OPTION. Such as the option of taking a PCI SATA card. Option of taking a full refund. Option of taking an advanced RMA... option...option...option... Not everyone wants a refund to hold $200 cash in their hand with their sandy bridge up their ass because it's worthless in the mean time.

This is a situation that obviously has many different angles. Not only is it a problem with a series of boards, but the ONLY boards.

Could always sell the board you get in replacement to offset the cost in the next couple of months. Its not the end of the world and nothing is stopping you from doing so.

Unless, you don't even have the hardware to begin with.

Anyways, that's like purchasing something (car, house, etc) today with the knowledge of something better/different is coming out tomorrow. Would you expect an upgrade path be offered to you? As far as I know, everyone knew Z68 was to be released this year.

The difference is not being able to use what I purchased in the mean time. Believe it not - time is money. A dollar today is not necessarily a dollar tomorrow (unless you're a complete moron like paesan).

Cyraxx,
Dude, Bro, do you not think that Intel will delay the release of the next chipset until they re-release the current chipset. Why don't you just get your money back and wait for the next gen. You are sweating this way too much, unless you are looking for something for nothing. Nice name calling. Listen, life is full of misjudgements, miscalculations, bad moves,etc. You just can't face the fact that you made a decision that has put you out of your way. If only I could have back all the negative things in my life............... Cyraxx, grow up, stop acting like a 2 year old with your name calling. Yes, your parents did a terrible job!!!!

Anger issues little one?

Cyraxx seems to have a well defined sense of entitlement. Just let him vent.

Cyraxx, did you get beat up a lot as a kid?

I think the ASUS response is pretty reasonable. Because of Intel's mistake they are going to have a lot of extra "overhead" associated with the whole deal - shipping, processing, etc. No doubt they will bill Intel for the whole hassle but it sounds like they are doing what I would expect them to do.

You remind me of the tourists that come to a hotel that a friend owns. If they are missing one washcloth or towel they want the room for free.

You are clearly outnumbered in this forum. RMA your mobo now and go away.

some people are just never satisfied. There's a reason I bought another Asus sandy board the other day, I knew they'd offer no receipt required exchange for a new board. That's good enough for me. It would be nice to be able to upgrade, but for that I could just return the one board to newegg and buy another if I so desired. You think you deserve a chipset upgrade for free? Nevermind the chipset isn't even out yet.

Got an error message after trying to fill out the form, so I will try again later. Is this happening to anyone else?

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Maximus P67 from my Pro, if that option is available. I'd be happy to pay the difference with a cross-ship.

And really, if Asus isn't set up to do that directly, I still have that option, by buying the Maximus and getting a refund on the Pro thanks to the extended return period.

All in all, Asus (and Intel) is handling this the right way, from the get-go. They declare the problem rather than downplaying it, they immediately set aside money to make it right, and they clearly explain work-arounds, and the projected timeframe for replacements.

None of this "deny, deny again, spin, blame storm, give customers a $0.25 rubber bumper" bullshit.

"Dear Cyraxx,

AMD might entertain your sense of entitlement better than us, attached is their phone number. Pester them.

Sincerely,
Intel" :rolleyes:

Not to barge in but it seems like the trolls are feasting in this thread.

Got an error message after trying to fill out the form, so I will try again later. Is this happening to anyone else?

you gotta put in a ser with like ABM ACM or B1M
the rep on hotline said its a white sticker either between cpu and ram or under the PCI slots or ON the side of PCI slots

apparently they put it in dif places at dif times
I cant find it

anyway the guy said shipments will start in MAY

Cyraxx,
Dude, Bro, do you not think that Intel will delay the release of the next chipset until they re-release the current chipset. Why don't you just get your money back and wait for the next gen. You are sweating this way too much, unless you are looking for something for nothing. Nice name calling. Listen, life is full of misjudgements, miscalculations, bad moves,etc. You just can't face the fact that you made a decision that has put you out of your way. If only I could have back all the negative things in my life............... Cyraxx, grow up, stop acting like a 2 year old with your name calling. Yes, your parents did a terrible job!!!!

+1 rep

I obviously expected Asus to replace my motherboard but I'm fucking furious that they will not do an advanced return. I have online classes and one PC. I can't go without a PC for two fucking weeks while I wait for a return to ship.

Cyraxx,

Ok so since Tiger Direct is offering an 8$ PCI sata card (that's the cost on it.. I looked it up), you expect Asus to do something about it? are you brain damaged? Contact where you bought it and swear at them to cover the upgrade if you want, I'm very impressed that Asus is offering not only extended advanced RMA beyond year 1, but 0 cost shipping both ways (tho I bet that's part of intels 1 billion cost, they are underwriting it).

Back