ASUS - A8N5X: need help with "universal pcie slot" (PCIE x4)

kuyamiko

n00b
Hello,

I have two pcie video cards, ive tested both of them and they work. i wanted to go ahead an run both of them in the A8N5X, but every time i plugged either card into the PCIE x4 slot (i think asus calls it their universal pcie slot), the system quickly blue screens at the windows boot screen and it restart the system.

I dont know if i need to make changes in the BIOS, or either a compatibility issue. both video cards work when using PCIE x16 slot.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

SPECS:
-Asus A8N5X
-MSI NX6600GT - TD128E (6600GT)
-MSI N94GT - MD512 (N9400GT)
-Windows 7 Ultimate x64
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego)

Please let me know if other specs are needed. thanks!

Your trying to sli a 6000 series and a 9000 series. That's your problem

Thanks for the reply!

I wasnt trying to run them as a SLI or at least i just didnt really know what i was doing.
So if i was to get either another 6 series or 9 series would that solve it?
I was just trying to add another video card so i can run more than 2 monitors, not intended to be a gaming machine.

would an additional PCI video card be a better solution?
just trying to find the most economical approach to a second video card.

thanks again!!

Ok. So my situation has shifted a bit im not sure if this is still a mobo or memory problem.

The two said video cards work. The two pcie slots work.

Heres the updated problem. when using the two video cards together, i get the BAD_POOL_HEADER bsod. i currently have 4gb (x4 1gb sticks) of memory plugged in. following a suggestion i read in another forum, i ran the system using only 2gb mem. IT WORKED!! i was relieved. the 3 monitors worked!! so i ran it with 3gb mem. it worked as well. so i tried my luck for 4gb and it blue screened again.

I have tried switching out the mem stick with others of the same brand/model and new ones as well, but as long as there were 4gb of mem, it blue screened. i ran MemTest and it found no errors.

so if anyone has any new suggestions, i would appreciate it thanks.

MEMORY SPEC:

x4 G.SKILL DDR-400 1GB (F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT)

other specs are posted in 1st post

Back