ASUS 7970 DirectCU II in Crossfire, bad idea?

Foot56

n00b
Would it be a bad idea to run ASUS 7970 DirectCU II in crossfire? Im just thinking about the temps of the first card not being able to suck up air? Has anyone does this yet?

i plan on doing it if amazon ever ships my two on order or if they ever show up on newegg :)

if you have a mb like my R4E or my old R3E that will handle 3 slot spacing cfx why not

i'm more worried about my 850 psu

but my case is open most of the time anyways and i will watercool them after 30 days or so

I know what you mean Foot56 and I wouldn't recommend Crossfire with a non-reference-cooler card for the reasons you mentioned - the cooler will exhaust the air onto the second card / into the case and the second card will feed hot air to the first one. The reference AMD coolers try to push air out of the case rather than into it, which simply works better for Crossfire.

That's not to say your cards won't manage. I'd just prefer the reference option because it may also mean less overall heat in the case.

I know what you mean Foot56 and I wouldn't recommend Crossfire with a non-reference-cooler card for the reasons you mentioned - the cooler will exhaust the air onto the second card / into the case and the second card will feed hot air to the first one. The reference AMD coolers try to push air out of the case rather than into it, which simply works better for Crossfire.

That's not to say your cards won't manage. I'd just prefer the reference option because it may also mean less overall heat in the case.

as long as you have adequate cooling it shouldn't matter if they exhaust in the case or out of it. a single side fan on a case will take care of the issue of the top card drawing in hot air.

as long as you have adequate cooling it shouldn't matter if they exhaust in the case or out of it. a single side fan on a case will take care of the issue of the top card drawing in hot air.

Depends, for a flipped mounting case like the Raven or Fortress this is a killer. I had a Vapor-X card before and after switching to a reference card my CPU temps dropped by some 8C. Blowing air into the case can interrupt airflow if you have it heading the way it's blowing.

Would it be a bad idea to run ASUS 7970 DirectCU II in crossfire? Im just thinking about the temps of the first card not being able to suck up air? Has anyone does this yet?

I wouldn't get a triple slotter for crossfire, i'd go reference or possibly a dual slot card (such as MSI lightning). Reference is just wayyyyyyyy easier to deal with when doing dual gpu.

Back