asp.net vs. asp.net 2.0

Node_Pointer

Limp Gawd
Are the only differences some more features? or is there some big underlining difference that articles on the web do not mention? For instance, is connecting and querying a database the same in both versions?
I have an asp.net book (not 2.0) and want to connect to a database using 2.0. will the code in the book i have work?

ASP.NET 2.0 uses the .Net Framework 2.0. So you get access to all the new features of the framework.

Code written for 1.0 will largely work in 2.0. You'll get clear warnings about things that are depricated. (I think there are very few in the data access area.) There are new features in 2.0 that you may want to take advantage of.

I would expect the code from your book to work. Step-by-step instructions in various UI that you'll interact with while writing your code and deploying your application might be different.

mikeblas said:
ASP.NET 2.0 uses the .Net Framework 2.0. So you get access to all the new features of the framework.

Code written for 1.0 will largely work in 2.0. You'll get clear warnings about things that are depricated. (I think there are very few in the data access area.) There are new features in 2.0 that you may want to take advantage of.

also, for 1.0 code that won't run under 2.0, you can run .NET 1.0/1.1 and .NET 2.0 code separately on the same IIS server using different application pools.

Back