Asked to be photographer in tomorrow's wedding last minute. Request cam setting info.

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
So I was asked last minute to be the photographer at my dad's wedding. Last minute thing. Leaving tomorrow morning (Feb. 9).

I take great pictures. My skill level from 1-10 (beginner-professional) would be around 4-5. I still have a lot to learn on the technical and mathematical level. I have no DSLR experience.

I have the following recording devices:
Fujifilm Finepix HS10
Nikon Coolpix S9100
Sony HDR-PJ260
Zoom H2n
Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I'll be doing video and recording audio with a dedicated audio recorder. I have enough memory cards for each device.

My questions are mostly directed to my photography settings. I gave you links to my cameras so you can look at what the cameras can do.

I do not know if I will be shooting inside or out. It is supposed to be mostly sunny all day. I will be using my only tripod for the camcorder so no tripod for the cameras. The mini-tripod will be used for the audio recorder. I have a circular polarizer and uv filter for my Fuji camera.

Any tips for camera usage during the wedding and after for photo ops? Any tips or seeing suggestions for any of the other recording devices?

Thanks

You want sharp images that are well exposed. I've seen way to many pictures from my relatives of weddings they've gone to that are dark and blurry.

Don't let the camera start using a longer shutter speed. Take control and up the ISO if needed (or decrease it), and turn on the flash. You want at a minimum a 60th of a second to stop the subject movement.

If the ceremony is indoors, get up in the front row, so you don't need to zoom. That will allow you to use the F/2.8 on the HS10, and a lower ISO, so the pictures will look better. Hopefully the place is lit well. If not ask if it would be OK to use flash. If so set the camera to ISO 400 or 800, then set the flash on and see what it looks like. It'll be a lot better than the ISO 1600 or whatever it was without the flash.

If the ceremony is outdoors and it is sunny, then that makes things much easier - set at the base ISO for the best quality maybe stop down to 5.6 to sharpen the image up. I might force the flash on to fill in the shadows, but that will cause a longer shot to shot time.

Take some sample pictures before the ceremony. Plan out where you want to be, take some test shots at each place. There will probably be someone standing there, take a photo and see if everything is checking out. Check the histogram, and make sure you are nailing the exposure. Nailing the exposure is the best option anyways, because it'll mean less work for you at the computer.

Don't be afraid to move around during the ceremony, your Dad wan'ts you to be the photographer, they will be happy that you are doing your best. Also with pictures after the ceremony and or the formals, take charge, speak up. "Who wants a group photo here, get together now. :)" Direct the people to only look at you. Let me take a couple photos, then I'll give you all a minute to take your photos. Thank you.

Must have been pretty amazing it you are speechless. Congrats on the accomplishment. Being the main photographer is no easy task.

Back