argh amazon nightmare

stormy1

[H]ard|Gawd
One Monday I ordered a amd 5000+ BE from Amazon.
They said in the email it would not ship until the 14th.
They said there was no way too ship it sooner despite it being listed as in stock.
I tried to cancel my order but website would not let me.
I contacted customer service and they canceled it.
The did not remove the authorization from my credit card locking up the funds I need to order it elsewhere!
I contacted them and they said to contact my CC company who said too contact amazon.

I checked with Ingram Micro which ships computer parts for a bunch of companies including buy.com and a friend has a business account there. The power supply I ordered from buy.com shipped from Ingram and they are properly telling people the BE is out of stock until the 14th.
They are out of stock until the 14th.. which is the soonest amazon can ship an in stock item???? hmmmmm!

So thanks to amazon I will have everything here but a cpu for my new build tomorrow.
Has anyone else had this much hassle with them?

This was the first and will be the last time I ever order from them.
Buy.com was excellent and will be getting my business along with newegg.

Sorry to hear, I was hesitant myself ordering from Amazon my first time, but it all went smoothly. Maybe just bad luck on your part?

One Monday I ordered a amd 5000+ BE from Amazon.
They said in the email it would not ship until the 14th.

Those estimated shipping dates are shown to you before you finalize the order. Also, Amazon always overestimates how long it is going to take them to ship, almost everything I order from there gives an estimate that it will ship in ~5 days, and they get it out within 24 hours.

For the CC, you just need to wait. Authorizations take some time to clear, and will do so automatically.

Those estimated shipping dates are shown to you before you finalize the order. Also, Amazon always overestimates how long it is going to take them to ship, almost everything I order from there gives an estimate that it will ship in ~5 days, and they get it out within 24 hours.

For the CC, you just need to wait. Authorizations take some time to clear, and will do so automatically.

I may have missed it but the only thing I saw was the estimated shipping time of 7 days which would have put it here Monday which would be fine, I didn't see anything about a 7 day wait then the 7 days shipping.
Even if I paid more for faster shipping it would not have shipped until the 14th even If I re-ordered.
Which since IM is out of them until the 14th makes perfect sense.

I'm going to echo what ocellaris said. I've ordered many items from amazon (although nothing technology-wise) and all of their lead times are way out there. Generally you can expect a shipment to be sent within 48 hours, although I have had it take longer on the "Free Super Saver Shipping" but since you're buying the cheapest one you can find you should be prepared to wait, if not, go buy from newegg or somewhere else that ships with 24-hrs on all their orders.

As far as your CC goes, that's pretty standard. When you place an order the funds aren't immediately taken out of your CC either, it takes time for the transaction to leave amazon and get processed at your CC company, the same is true for credits, it may take their system a day or two to process in addition to your CC company. Even though it's an electronic purchase these things don't happen instantly.

just wanted too leave a post that this has been resolved.
Amazon contacted my credit card company and had the authorization removed(they keep them on for 15 days?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) and gave me a $10 amazon credit for the hassle. It took them 3 times contacting my credit card company too get it done.
Which was my credit card companies fault.

newegg has my cpu on the way right now and will be here tue!

I think this is just one of those cases where the system didn't match up with reality. The rep you talked to really can't do anything about it as it's all they have to go by as well.

Yes, it sucks...

I've been buying from amazon for many years. I've yet to have an issue with them, and the service has always been excellent.

Lately, they have been having better prices than newegg on a lot of stuff too, and not by a small margin sometimes.

2 days ago I finally signed up for Amazon Prime. It's $79 a year and gets you free 2-day shipping and $3.99 overnight shipping for each item (sold by Amazon - Not partner sellers).

I had an order I needed overnight and the shipping was $48 overnight. What the hell... Signed up for Prime, got the immediate discount for $3.99 overnight. It made the yearly cost for prime cheap for this year.

Really, Amazon has always handled things great for me.

I recently purchased a lamp. It was missing pieces. It even came from a third-party (target). It took me 2 minutes to do the rma online, they shipped me a replacement immediately with no charge, and provided a pre-paid label to return the bad one. As long as I returned the old one within 30 days (which I did) there would be no activitiy on my card. Then even sent me an email verifying receipt of the defective item.

I've even had items with the free super-saver shipping come in next day. Suprised the hell out of me.

I think it depends on what warehouse it comes from. If it's an Ingram-Micro drop-shop out of the PA office I have a shot at getting it overnight no matter what shipping I pay for.

I'm going to echo what ocellaris said. I've ordered many items from amazon (although nothing technology-wise) and all of their lead times are way out there. Generally you can expect a shipment to be sent within 48 hours, although I have had it take longer on the "Free Super Saver Shipping" but since you're buying the cheapest one you can find you should be prepared to wait, if not, go buy from newegg or somewhere else that ships with 24-hrs on all their orders.

As far as your CC goes, that's pretty standard. When you place an order the funds aren't immediately taken out of your CC either, it takes time for the transaction to leave amazon and get processed at your CC company, the same is true for credits, it may take their system a day or two to process in addition to your CC company. Even though it's an electronic purchase these things don't happen instantly.

Back