Are these safe temps?

Dario D.

Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
582
Hi all. I think something's wrong with my temps...

I've been getting random reboots while backing up my hard drive using Acronis TrueImage, and at first was wondering if it had something to do with my new Samsung Spinpoint F1 (supposedly one of the fastest HD's ever... only $130 right now)... but then I noticed it could also have something to do with my new CPU fan that I installed at the same time as the F1 (couple days ago)...

...because look at these temps (I'm not running anything heavy at the moment, like games, etc... just ordinary computing):

tempser8.jpg


Do these look normal to anyone? Right now, after rebooting, my CPU is idling at 61c (Athlon 6400+), and the video is hovering at 79c (8800 GTS). See sig for hardware details.
 
Those can't be right. What is your house temp? That mainboard temp should be just a few degrees higher than your home.
 
I would remount the CPU cooler, see if the temps drop
 
82C idle means you probably have a bad mount, high ambient temps and bad cable management or fan locations. I would remount then do some cable management on the chassis.
 
those are pretty bad idle temps. GPU should not be going over 80, the more over the bigger risk of causeing damage.
 
those are pretty bad idle temps. GPU should not be going over 80, the more over the bigger risk of causeing damage.

not to mention his hard drives, mines always idle at 25C and he/she is about 30C away from total meltdown on those.
 
-------------------------------------------
Regarding the GPU
-------------------------------------------

Hmmm... RivaTuner reported that my GPU fan was only running at 59% of its top speed (though the temperature was searing). When I forced it to 100%, I heard it speed up - a sound I've never heard before (indicating, perhaps, that it has always been stuck at a low setting). Does that make sense to anyone? Now it's idling at 70c, with the fan at 100% speed. (2,900 RPM)

Oh, and could my temps have something to do with the fact that I'm running triple-monitors? (though I'm just doing basic computing at the moment - nothing fancy. I wouldn't think redrawing Windows apps would eat THAT much GPU, no matter how many screens you have. Not sure though) Didn't think of that until now.

-------------------------------------------
Regarding the CPU
-------------------------------------------

Is there a (decent) app that lets you view and take control of your CPU fan? (AMD Athlon 6400+ X2 --- Mobo: Asus M2N-E) I'm wondering, perhaps, if my CPU fan isn't doing its thing either, as I haven't ever heard it change speed or anything when doing heavy computing. I tried enabling AMD "Cool n' Quiet" and Q-Fan control in the Bios, but I'm still idling at 60c.

Btw, looks like my CPU is throttled down once it reaches 70c (!!!). That doesn't sound like a good omen. (looking at the Hardware Sensors Monitor settings here)

temps2kq8.jpg
 
Does your case have any fans?
Nope. Didn't think they would drop the temps *that* much for the crucial parts. (plus, I'm tired of dealing with them... At least the ones I've had have died left and right, and if they lasted long, then they grew noisy. I threw out my last case fan the other day, because it didn't work anymore). How much is proper ventilation supposed to cool your parts? (if we're talking, say, 1 case fan and 1 PCI fan)
are you overclocking?
Nope.
 
You should have atleast two case fans one in front or top of the case and another at the back blowing hot air out while the front fan would be an intake fan and if you put a top fan you can have that one as exhaust. you really should re-mount your cpu, being a AMD X2 your idle temps should be 30-40C the most and your load should stay below 65C.
 
Generally if a program like that is highlighting your temp in red, it's not good :)

There's more than likely some bad cooling going on. Even with triple monitors, temps that high while idle are insane. Take off the side of your case and put a fan next to it and see it the temps go down.
 
No Case Fans? Ack! I can get away with that on my VIA processor machine, but dude... on anything else, that's CRAZY! I feel for your equipment.

What case you got?

You can find fans for pretty cheap. I recently got a 4 pack of 12cm Coolermaster fans for cheap. Nothing special, but they work. Put two in yer case, keep two for backup. Link to cheap fans.

Only thing I don't like about them is you can't use silicon mounts, you have to use screws, but hey...screws are included.
 
Seems you guys are right. Here are the results of some testing:

tempsallua7.jpg


Result: MORE CRAP THAT I HAVE TO BUY FOR MY COMPUTER??? :D On my bill already for this month: new hard drive, new motherboard, new CPU fan, new DVD burner, two new sound cards (returned one), 2 gigs more RAM, and now case fans. My favorite. :p
 
Not to sound like an idiot, but I have never heard of that program.

Try using Core Temp or HWMonitor.
 
Nope. Didn't think they would drop the temps *that* much for the crucial parts. (plus, I'm tired of dealing with them... At least the ones I've had have died left and right, and if they lasted long, then they grew noisy. I threw out my last case fan the other day, because it didn't work anymore). How much is proper ventilation supposed to cool your parts? (if we're talking, say, 1 case fan and 1 PCI fan)

Nope.


Put as many fans as you can on that case. Pick up some nice fans, ( yate loons, etc ), and maybe get a fan controller or just 5v them for free.
 
Ah, I got it... When I examined the CPU's heatsink/fan, I realized it was on kinda loose (I mean, it seemed completely acceptable when I put it on - and it was making FULL contact and everything). So then, upon inspection of the fan's manual (I didn't even know it had one, at first - I thought it was warranty papers or something) I realized I had skipped a step. (you have to twist these magical knob thingies to clamp down)

I knew I was doing it right when I nearly broke all my fingers trying to force the knobs to clamp down. Ah, that's the experience I was looking for. (adds another company to list of manufacturers to slap at least once before I die... twice or three times if I can; one for each moment of agonizing pain shooting through my hands).

So now my temps are looking like this, with the case closed again. Still working on that video card. [in this thread]

temps3sr5.jpg
 
Back
Top