Arctic Silver

OneHit

n00b
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
60
I didnt get Artic Silver in my new build, because I didnt really do my research, and I didnt know much about it, what i want to know is: will i be screwed and lose a lot of performance in OC my CPU (q6600 GO stepping) and will it run a lot warmer? I did get a CPU fan
 
Well, I don't think Arctic Silver is even the best thermal grease anymore. I personally have received good results with Tuniq TX-2 on my Q6600.
 
CPU Fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118030&Tpk=ZALMAN%2c+CNPS8700 but what im asking is... is it a really bad move for me not having any thermal paste? Or will i be alright?

You need some form of thermal compound between the CPU and the heat sink. Looking at the package contents, the Zalman does not come with any.

If you are in a pinch for time, check out local PC shops. Also most Best Buy stores sell imitation AS5 for like $10. Pretty much any thermal compound works well if you apply it correctly. If you can wait a couple of days, grab this:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/arcomxthco.html

Shipping will be less than $2 for USPS and it should get to you in 2 or 3 days. The Tuniq stuff works well too. I am not a huge fan of AS5 personally.
 
Have you looked at you temps? You want the paste for sure, but it would probably work at stock speeds just fine. You won't get maximum cooling for sure, but I don't think it would more than 10C or so.
 
well i didnt get the computer yet, I am thinking it should be shipping from AVA soon, so if i didnt have the thermal paste, do i not get the full advantages of the heatsink? Do i damage the CPU? Does it run a lot warmer?

The thermal paste goes on top of the CPU right?
 
well i didnt get the computer yet, I am thinking it should be shipping from AVA soon, so if i didnt have the thermal paste, do i not get the full advantages of the heatsink? Do i damage the CPU? Does it run a lot warmer?

The thermal paste goes on top of the CPU right?

If AVA is sending you the computer they will put thermal compound on the CPU, you have nothing to worry about. They will just use some bulk compound, and that stuff normally works pretty good. Again its really not all about which compound gets used, its more about correctly applying the compound and mounting the heat sink properly.
 
Ok yeah thats good to know, yeah now that i look at it, it says "standard thermal compound (chose upgrade)" with a drop down menu, So i guess i get the Standard Thermal Compund.. thats good to know, atleast im not without anything.
 
Yeah if you go looking for things to worry about, you will always find something. You have a great system coming, keep asking questions if you have them. Welcome to [H]
 
Lol yeah while waiting all you have to think about is what can go wrong, but yeah [H] has a great community. Lot of very helpfull people, lets hope everything turns out :D
 
not relevant but i'm getting great results from the pre-applied mx-2 tim that came on the freezer 7 pro
 
Back
Top