• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Archos 5 Internet Tablet

Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
783
I am considering the new Archos 5 Internet Table using Android, 32 gig model. I was wondering if anyone here has purchased this device and could give me your impressions of it. I will mainly be using it for a MP3 player in my truck, but also I am very interested in using it as a small tablet to read web pages when I am in my recliner or at my beach house. The main reason I am considering this over the Ipod Touch is that the Touch does not support Flash. I have read contradicting reports for the Archos regarding Flash. Some articles say that it does support it, others say it is not supported yet. If anyone has an Archos using Android, could you please let me know about this little bit of info.
Thanx.
 
While i do not (and do not plan to ever) own the "Internet Tablet", i have had the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet for long enough to say "meh".

Sound quality is mediocre at best, with the EQ being very weak. I am a bass-aholic and the 5 couldn't bring out the lows to my liking.

Archos as a company isn't the best to work with. Firmware updates are always questionable - people are still waiting for plugins promised to them on the 605wifi, which was 2 generations ago. My 5 had the popular faulty headphone jack problem (as did my brother's), but my rma process went relatively smooth. Took a long ass time though

Now for the good: Internet browsing on my 5 is awesome, besides the random crashes, which rarely happen now after some much needed firmware updates. I can't go to newegg without crashing it though.. very odd. I guess with youtube's new support of flash 10 my 5 won't be good for youtubeing in the future, but it is great for basic sites like this one, engadget, amazon, even ebay, etc.

The screen is great! so bright and vibrant. when i turn my brightness up i am amazed still by the popping colors.

Given the cons and pros above, my opinion of archos devices is still "meh" i think if i did less music listening and more movie watching i may feel differently, but i think as an mp3 player first it has some shortcomings (volume is way too low, i need it almost cranked for an appropriate listening level)

All that being said, i have no idea on the build, audio, or software quality of the Android Internet tablet ;) But from my experience with archos, i'd say steer clear until legitimate reviews (all stating flash support) are available.

"If it is an archos, let it go about 3-4 months from its release before considering purchasing the device"
 
I am considering the new Archos 5 Internet Table using Android, 32 gig model. I was wondering if anyone here has purchased this device and could give me your impressions of it. I will mainly be using it for a MP3 player in my truck, but also I am very interested in using it as a small tablet to read web pages when I am in my recliner or at my beach house. The main reason I am considering this over the Ipod Touch is that the Touch does not support Flash. I have read contradicting reports for the Archos regarding Flash. Some articles say that it does support it, others say it is not supported yet. If anyone has an Archos using Android, could you please let me know about this little bit of info.
Thanx.

I think you meant to post this question in the Mobile Computing section.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
 
Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I really considered this more of an MP3/media player more than a mobile computer. Thanks for the info ToMMyGuN.
 
Back
Top