Apple Noob with IDE ?

Psyker

Limp Gawd
Hey, i am an apple newb, while i can get around and work on them, my technical knowledge is iffy. so,

I have here a iMac that the hdd died in, managed to get most of th edata tho. So i got a new IDE HDD and what jumper seeting do i need to use, and do i need to format it any specific way??

Thanks

set the jumper to master

after you get it in and put back together, turn the system on and hold the following keys down until you hear three chimes:
command + option + P + R

That will reset the PRAM and recognize the new drive, the boot up on your OS cd by holding down the C key with your CD in the drive.

Resetting the PRAM really has pretty much nothing to do with the hard drive.

The only reason a Mac would not recognize a drive unless the PRAM were zapped were if that Mac were l33t fuX0r3d.

Now, put the Mac Operating System disk into the machine and hold down the 'C' key the instant that you hit power and hold the key down until you see that the machine is indeed booting from the CD.

After it has booted from the CD and you are on the desktop, go into the CD which should now be on the desktop, then go into the 'Utilities' folder, and then run the application called 'Drive Setup'. Highlight the drive that you have just installed and click 'Initialize'.

That was the OS 9 and earlier method.

If you are running OS X, start the same by putting in your OS X CD and boot from it. Once the system has been booted from the CD and you are at the installer, fidget around in the menus until you see 'Disk Utility'. Once you are in Disk Utility, highlight the drive you just installed in the left column and then erase/format/initialize the bugger.

Then, proceed by installing the OS.

If you haven't done it before:

If you're installing OS 9 or OS 8: Once you've initialized the drive using Drive Setup, quit that application and return to the window that lists the contents of the CD. Run 'Mac OS Install', from there it is self explanatory.

If you're installing OS X: Just quit Disk Utility once you have formated the drive and you'll have the install window pop back up in your face. Just follow the instructions, also very self explanatory.

I was just going by the instructions I had when I changed out my HD in my iBook, and it didn't recognize it until I did so.

I dont know how many HD's I've replaced over the years in different Macs, probably hundreds, never had to zap the PRAM to get it recognized. Just pop it in and format it with the propper utility.

Back