APIC or ACPI that´s the question

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
So what is the answer. Am going to reformat my windows XP installation.

They are two different things, though related. What exactly is the question?

What is the best mode to run windows XP?

APIC or ACPI? Windows can assign more IRQ:s or something like that in ACPI mode or something like that.

Okay well, ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface and this is a spec for newer systems and operating systems that allows for "virtual" IRQ handling. More than one device can share a single IRQ because the OS cycles which device gets the IRQ at a given time and puts the others to a kind of "sleep" but it happens in a few nanoseconds IIRC so it doesn't incur much if any performance hit. However, in the beginning of ACPI, with Win2k, a lot of systems had problems with ACPI and so switching to "Standard PC" or the Advanced Power Management kernel aided in performance and stability for these systems. With the advent of WinXP and newer mobos and peripherals there usually isn't a need to relegate to APM now but it is still used for troubleshooting. So if you have any problems with ACPI and you've exhausted all other fixes you know of, switching to APM would be okay.

APIC is Advanced Programming Interface Controller and this allows for more than 12 (or is it 14?) IRQs totally available and also allows for more than one CPU to utilize the IRQs IIRC (APIC is mandated for AMD Athlon MP SMP systems). However again this feature has caused problems with some systems especially when overclocking (like mine). Every system is different so your's may not have any problem with it, so only disable it if instability is caused by something you can't really figure out.

For greater detail, there's Google :) HTH

Originally posted by PliotronX
Okay well, ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface and this is a spec for newer systems and operating systems that allows for "virtual" IRQ handling. More than one device can share a single IRQ because the OS cycles which device gets the IRQ at a given time and puts the others to a kind of "sleep" but it happens in a few nanoseconds IIRC so it doesn't incur much if any performance hit. However, in the beginning of ACPI, with Win2k, a lot of systems had problems with ACPI and so switching to "Standard PC" or the Advanced Power Management kernel aided in performance and stability for these systems. With the advent of WinXP and newer mobos and peripherals there usually isn't a need to relegate to APM now but it is still used for troubleshooting. So if you have any problems with ACPI and you've exhausted all other fixes you know of, switching to APM would be okay.

APIC is Advanced Programming Interface Controller and this allows for more than 12 (or is it 14?) IRQs totally available and also allows for more than one CPU to utilize the IRQs IIRC (APIC is mandated for AMD Athlon MP SMP systems). However again this feature has caused problems with some systems especially when overclocking (like mine). Every system is different so your's may not have any problem with it, so only disable it if instability is caused by something you can't really figure out.

For greater detail, there's Google :) HTH

Ah great. Guess I will go ACPI then. Ain´t sure what I am running now will check it. My overclock is really poor anyway.

Back