AOL into SBS - Exchange - POP Connector

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am sure some of you small business consultants have clients that have had AOL account since the internet started. They now have their own domain name but still have to check both names.

Is it possible to POP Aol into SBS pop3 connector?

Or what have you guys/gals been doing?

Thanks,
Dan

AFAIK (and I called Microsoft support once to check this)....the POP3 connector can only pull on port 110. AOL runs their pop servers on one of the newer funkier ports, so no luck there.

BUT...you can add an Internet e-mail setup to Outlook..and have it delivered to their Exchange mailbox.

Most of the articles you'll find on setting up AOL in Outlook mention only IMAP, but keep looking, you'll find an article on doing POP3...entering the incoming and outgoing mail servers for AOL.

I just did this at that client I did the T300 server at the other week.

There are also services out there that will forward your aol mail to an address for you since they don't offer that natively.

Can't u just log into AOL and tell it to forward email to an alternate email address?? Hotmail and Gmail both have this feature built in.

what services have you all used to foward?

Since I just added a setup in Outlook for Internet e-mail, it pulled down the AOHell crap via that POP3 part, when the user was sending mail, it went out through the Exchange servers SMTP using the default recipient profile (I was moving them off of AOL to their own real e-mail hosted on this server).

If you're stuck with these people not letting go of AOL...like they want to use it for their whole organization..you could set the Exchanges SMTP forwarding to go to AOLs SMTP server with authentication...and you can alter the port used on outgoing SMTP to that port 587 or whatever it is AOL uses.

The only thing I'd wonder about...the volume of outbound e-mail under that one account being used for outbound authentication, if your server has enough e-mail clients sending out...AOL might shut off the outbound due to high volume they see and label as spam.

Back