aol art. files

slls

n00b
I have win 7, 64 bit. I have hundreds of technical art images that I cannot open with my new computer. With my old XP computer I used CompuServe 7, how can I open them with my win 7 OS. thanks

A program called XnView is supposed to support .art format.

Once you install it, open the program, go to Tools->Batch Processing and then point to the folder containing the .art pictures, add folder and batch convert them to BMP. Take a break. You can handle it from there.

I contacted XnView, there program will not open aol art. files, back to square one.

Supposedly Graphic Workshop Professional will convert them with an .art plug-in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ART_image_file_format

I would also think that it is possible in Photoshop.

Although, thruthfully, I think the best solution is to build a time machine, go back in time, and tell yourself to never use AOL/Compuserve, ever.

I contacted XnView, there program will not open aol art. files, back to square one.
There seems to be multiple file types that use art. They have Art Director and Artisan for this program, both using .art

Also, according to Wikipedia, older versions of Internet Explorer would let you open .art files and save-as .bmp. Maybe if you can get your hands on an XP machine with IE6 installed, you can try it. Maybe even load up XPM if you have Win 7 Professional.

Last edited:
I have the old XP PC. I just was trying to open the aol.art files on my new win 7 computer.

I have the old XP PC. I just was trying to open the aol.art files on my new win 7 computer.

Then just install compuserve 7 on Windows 7. It sure sounds like it would work.

Well, uninstall IE8/7 from that machine and use IE6 to open the files, then save them as .bmp. Or even convert them over on your old machine since you seem to have the program to open them. If the file sizes are to big, just plug your HDD from your 7 system into your XP machine, copy the converted images over into a folder on the drive root and plug it back into the new machine.

ACDSee claims to have support. I haven't touched the program in years but, back in the day, it used to be one of the better image viewers, when such things were often needed. You should probably be able to do batch conversion with one of their apps.

I tried installing CompuServe on my computer and no go, they think I want to go on line with it. I really like the .art file compression, converted they get too large, mb's, and I have hundreds. I would like to find a free program.
I wonder why a old, not very well liked compression, is so hard find a program to open with, maybe because aol has the rights.

The AOL browser should be able to open it fine if you can tame it otherwise.

I wonder why a old, not very well liked compression, is so hard find a program to open with, maybe because aol has the rights.

AOL, at the time, running a massive dialup ISP, had a -massive- incentive to find the absolute highest compression format they could have. I'd be surprised if PNG can't at least get close to it.

Back