AOL and Internet Connection Sharing

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm trying to help a retarded friend who's still using AOL dialup. We jusy upgraded his 2 computers from Win98se to Win XP Pro. Under Win 98se, he could share his AOL connection, i.e. dial into and log into AOL on one computer the use IE on the other to surf the web.

NO NO NO !! He is not trying to log into AOL on both computers simultaniesously (He's not that retarded).

Please read the above once more.

Sorry, I've had so many morons tell me you can't log into AOL from more than one computer at a time. No matter how carefully I explain the situation I still get the above remark at least once in a thread. I'll probably get it here too, LOL.

Anyway, here are the FACTS.

This was working perfectly under Win 98se.

Same version of AOL. Different OS (Win XP Pro)

The connection is shared in Win XP but still doesn't work. There are no LAN issues whatsoever.

Win XP networking says that AOL is disconnected even tho the computer is connected to AOL and surfing the web without problems. It never says "connected". Dunno if this is related to the problem but I suspect it is.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Deadjasper said:
Anyway, here are the FACTS.

This was working perfectly under Win 98se.
Same version of AOL. Different OS (Win XP Pro)
The connection is shared in Win XP but still doesn't work. There are no LAN issues whatsoever.
Win XP networking says that AOL is disconnected even tho the computer is connected to AOL and surfing the web without problems. It never says "connected". Dunno if this is related to the problem but I suspect it is.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

What version of AOL are you using?
Have you attemtped to use any kind of proxy software? Either the built in ICS or AnalogX's Proxy:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Thanks.

The XP firewall doesn't seem to make any difference. I have shared the connection with ICS but still no go. I haven't tried a third party proxy server. Being that the AOL dialer is proprietary, would a proxy stand a chance of working?

Back