Anyone use a DAC for bf2?

lend82

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
247
Sup guys:p
As my title says, do any of you use a DAC for playing bf2? If so, how does it sound(how is the 3d positioning, soundstage, etc)? And what audio setting do you put use in the bf2 options? Lastly what amp do you have, and how much does it cost? And of course, feel free to voice any other info that may be of help to me.

Thank you for your time and help, later!=]
 
Dac for gaming? People do that?

Well I read this review of the Silverstone EB01 DAC, in which the author mentions how it sounds with bf2 (which she says, sounds great). I pm'd the author for more specific information, like what audio setting was she allowed to use in bf2, but I haven't received a response yet:(

That's where you guys come in! I'm hoping that someone out there uses a DAC with bf2, and can tell me how it sounds etc.

Thank you for your help and time, later!=]
 
I would imagine a standard X-fi would blow it out of the water for gaming just because of the fact that you cannot decode EAX surround via digital output on sound cards. So the surround would be far better via X-fi and analog.

But i would still be interested to hear if anyone uses an external DAC with headphones while gaming.
 
Heavily dependent on the game I'd say. I don't think BF2 has anything spectacular other than EAX...4? or maybe 3, forgot.

I just started playing Evil Genius again, and for comparison...it has options all the way to and *above* 7.1 DTS/SDDS bitstream to an amplifier. It's crazy.
 
BF2 is crazy with an XFI. When on ultrahigh (XFI only) the positioning with headphones is insane and the effects are amazing.
 
Sup guys=]
I actually have a x-fi, but because the way my motherboard sits in the system case, it cannot sit fully into the pci slot. My computer was eventually destroyed that way, too. Anyways, that's why I'm looking for an external audio solution now. I understand that a DAC won't be able to handle EAX, but I would still like to know how it does otherwise. Anyone with a DAC that plays bf2?:cool: I really need your opinions on this.

Hey Movax, what is your sound setup?

Thank you for your help guys, talk to you later!=]
 
Nothing wrong with external DAC+EAX+CMSS3D headphones, it should sound better than connecting the headphones directly to the card's analogue when the external dac is better than the dac on the card.
 
But the DAC in question uses USB and doesn't connect to the digital out on the X-Fi so he would lose CMSS3D and EAX. I'm sure it would sound fine in games but there would be no hardware acceleration which means more cpu resources being used when gaming. The only real benefit to this Silverstone DAC I see is that it probably sounds better than many cheaper soundcards for when playing music, and because it is external to the PC it will get less electrical interference than an internal soundcard.
 
But the DAC in question uses USB and doesn't connect to the digital out on the X-Fi so he would lose CMSS3D and EAX. I'm sure it would sound fine in games but there would be no hardware acceleration which means more cpu resources being used when gaming. The only real benefit to this Silverstone DAC I see is that it probably sounds better than many cheaper soundcards for when playing music, and because it is external to the PC it will get less electrical interference than an internal soundcard.

Thank you guys=]
I thought of a way to seat my x-fi fully into the pci slot and make it work, but by then, I already decided that I'm gonna give it away to a fellow Quake 2'r and use a DAC as my replacement. What Kylie said in the review I mentioned earlier confirms what you said Gatticus. I was just hoping not to take too much of a step back video game wise with the DAC over the x-fi.

Thank you gus for the help. People who have used a DAC with bf2 are still welcome to chime in.

Talk to you later!=]
 
I use a DAC with UT2004. To be honest, I havn't done any comparisons between the DAC and my Audigy 2 ZS card in the gaming department.

I can tell you that my new DAC and AMP has improved my soundstage, positioning, and depth with music. Pair it with a headphone that can make use of this, such as you DT770pro's, and it'll be a good pairing (for music).

Mine is connected using Digital Coax, so I can't comment on what in game features you would loose by not using the X-fi. I know with mine I'm still able to use the EAX features of my card.

Only real advice I can say, is get one and see for yourself first hand.

~Good luck
 
Thank you for your help=]
Yea, I guess the best way to find out is to try it out myself, but by then, I would have spent $100 on the DAC already. BUT, I know this: the DAC will increase the sound quality of my music over my onboard sound card, and possibly m x-fi, which is good, because I listen to music much more than I play bf2=]

Thank you for your help, later!

I use a DAC with UT2004. To be honest, I havn't done any comparisons between the DAC and my Audigy 2 ZS card in the gaming department.

I can tell you that my new DAC and AMP has improved my soundstage, positioning, and depth with music. Pair it with a headphone that can make use of this, such as you DT770pro's, and it'll be a good pairing (for music).

Mine is connected using Digital Coax, so I can't comment on what in game features you would loose by not using the X-fi. I know with mine I'm still able to use the EAX features of my card.

Only real advice I can say, is get one and see for yourself first hand.

~Good luck
 
Back
Top