Anyone still using a CRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stayfr0sty

Gawd
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
708
I just moved back to the states after living in shit hole europe for a year.
I still have my 21 inch trinitron CRT, in europe I was using a sammy 2235 22"@ 1080p rez

My trinitron supports higher rez then this but @60 hz refresh rate, and we all know CRTs with lower refresh rates create a lot more strain on your eyes. LCDs like the sammy I had over there dont have this problem. So should I run the CRT at max rez with 60 hz? Or am I gonna end up needing eye surgery? If not Ill have to settle for 1600x1200 @ 85 hz.
 
85hz, save your eyes. If you feel you need more screen real estate get a second monitor.
 
No need to disparage Europe. Some can say the same of the USA
 
85hz, save your eyes. If you feel you need more screen real estate get a second monitor.

^ Agreed

I'm still using Sony Trinitron and it has served me well up to this point and hopefully for years to come!
 
I still use my Samsung 19" Synchmaster for some things. But yeah I'd never run it at 60hz or I get an instant headache. It is starting to lose it's brightness too, poor thing.
 
Still going strong with my HP P1230's...had to retire one of them recently because everything was red (or was it green).

For the OP, what model monitor do you have? I feel like a majority of the larger monitors could run at a higher refresh for that resolution (note the ones I have can do 85hz @ 2048x1536).
Maybe you need a specific profile for the monitor?
 
Still going strong with my HP P1230's...had to retire one of them recently because everything was red (or was it green).

For the OP, what model monitor do you have? I feel like a majority of the larger monitors could run at a higher refresh for that resolution (note the ones I have can do 85hz @ 2048x1536).
Maybe you need a specific profile for the monitor?

I tried searching for new drivers for the monitor but latest I could find were for win 2k :rolleyes:

I dunno Ill try @ 60 hz, it I start getting headaches Ill lower to 1600x1200

Dont really want to do that since im used to 1080p now. Unless I just go get a new monitor but im broke. :(
 
1600x1200 is very high resolution for 21''
you can use nvidia control panel or power strip to add custom res but with only 85hz at 16x12 it probably wont go very high...
 
So your ancestors come from a shit hole? :D

While I generally agree that the OP is unnecessarily bashing Europe (and displaying poor taste), it's probably not a safe assumption to assume his/her ancestors are European.

In any case, yes, I've still got a 21" CRT on one of my desktops in my home. I prefer higher resolution, but going lower res at higher frequency will make your eyes feel less fatigued.
 
Yep and have a brand new one in the closet incase it goes have two backup motherboards from 2003 with backup processors and memory. Cause all of the new technology doesn't mesh with CRTs the same way flat screens do. So you might get more eyestrain using a CRT with new computer parts.

I use a flat screen led lcd and a new computer for gaming though but because of eyestrain I use it sparingly.
 
Yep and have a brand new one in the closet incase it goes have two backup motherboards from 2003 with backup processors and memory. Cause all of the new technology doesn't mesh with CRTs the same way flat screens do. So you might get more eyestrain using a CRT with new computer parts.

I use a flat screen led lcd and a new computer for gaming though but because of eyestrain I use it sparingly.

You'll have to explain more, i've never heard that. The slightly potential limiting factor is only the input plug? VGA / DVI / BNC what have you? I think there are ways around that as far as i know.
 
I have a nice 19" Hitachi SuperScan Elite (best CRT made IMO) in my cocktail MAME machine. I used it on my desktop until the Dell 2209WA (IPS) became available, which I consider one of the best LCD's ever made. Yah, I'm picky.
 
So your ancestors come from a shit hole? :D

Yup, especially the most western euro country which is a peninsula.... country full of lazy alcoholics.

While I generally agree that the OP is unnecessarily bashing Europe (and displaying poor taste), it's probably not a safe assumption to assume his/her ancestors are European.

In any case, yes, I've still got a 21" CRT on one of my desktops in my home. I prefer higher resolution, but going lower res at higher frequency will make your eyes feel less fatigued.

Yup thats exactly what I got left after living there, a poor taste from all the idiots.

Not saying US is magic land either but at least there is more diversity here.

And the fact the being american born and being frowned upon by euros is whats annoying.

They say americans are ignorant yet they think were all right wing Bush Cheney lovers. And its nothing like that. What euros needs to understand is that the US is a huge melting pot and you cant just stereotype americans.


Anyways back on topic. Running my gaming rig again finally seems to see correct monitor driver now with the video card. I can do 65 hz@ 2048x1536. So far no headaches. Had to increase DPI to over 200% though, cant see shit.
 
CRTs are better monitors for gaming. More fluid, better refresh rates, better colors, more natural.
 
I take a lot of offense to you guys knocking Europe as a whole...

Just because you went to one country and think you know it all doesn't give you the right to bash all of Europe. Its like going to Palm Springs and then telling everyone in your country that everyone is old and retired in America. Or going to Vegas and telling everyone in another country that America is nothing but hookers, gambling and drinking (do love Vegas btw).

Either way, there is HUGE differences from country to country in Europe, so if you must speak ill of something, please be a little more specific so you dont offend a continent as a whole. It just doesn't work.
 
I am at work so can't watch much or even hear anything, but it looks to me like a video about a bunch of run down house which is more an indicator of inequality than diversity...

Anyways this thread is very offensive and barely on topic, it should be closed, preferably deleted.
 
A diversity of poorly-educated people is of limited use, to put it as gently as I know how. I was a CRT fanatic until I finally got a 27" 120Hz LCD. I would never have pulled the trigger on a 23" with expensive Trinitrons still available without too much phosphor wear!
 
I still have 3 21-22" CRT's, well actually I have about 6-8 17-19" ones as well but they are headed to the trash. I actually just hooked up a CRT to my system at home as I brought one of my LCD's in to work. It's a decent screen for foobar, and even gaming, but no good for coding. Text is far sharper on an LCD. (IMO thats about the ONLY thing that LCD's are better at.)

Personally I am ok with CRT's as long as they are 75Hz or higher. Most of my crt's can do that at pretty high res.
 
Interesting how this conversation quickly degraded.

But seriously calling all of Europe the same is incredibly ignorant. That would be like calling all of North America the same. Its a broad stroke with little insight into anything but stereotypes.

And back on topic , I still have my old Sony 21 inch CRT just in case. I don't actively use it because its heavy and I don't feel like setting it up but I won't ever get rid of it.
 
I just moved back to the states after living in shit hole europe for a year.
I still have my 21 inch trinitron CRT, in europe I was using a sammy 2235 22"@ 1080p rez

My trinitron supports higher rez then this but @60 hz refresh rate, and we all know CRTs with lower refresh rates create a lot more strain on your eyes. LCDs like the sammy I had over there dont have this problem. So should I run the CRT at max rez with 60 hz? Or am I gonna end up needing eye surgery? If not Ill have to settle for 1600x1200 @ 85 hz.

21" Trinitrons barely support 1600x1200, let alone higher.

Throw up a 1 pixel grid at 1600x1200 and you will almost certainly get weird moire pattern because you are already at the limit of resolution. Try it at a higher resolution and it will turn into a solid color as the pixels completely blur together.
 
Sadly I had to give up my Samsung 19 inch flatscreen. Great monitor, It was a Samsung 959NF. Back in the early 2000's I was perfectly content with 1600x1200, but it would go higher.

edit: Just looked it up, 1920x1440 at 73hz.
 
I bought two sealed 22 inch Mitsubishi Diamondtrons rebranded as Sun microsystems displays for $75 each a few years ago. Using one as my main monitor while the other stays in storage. It's propped up to eye level about a foot and a half away from my face to provide proper field of view for 16:9 content.

1600x1200 75hz for desktop usage, best compromise between crispness and flicker
1280x720 85hz vsync off for 16:9 games
1280x720 72hz for 720p HDTV/BluRay 24fps material
1280x720 60hz for PS3 and 360 games (through HDFury3)
1024x768 85hz vsync off for 4:3 era games
640x480 60hz for many classic games

I've also got two 27 inch 480i 2002-era Sony TVs hooked to NES/SNES/N64/PS1/PS2/Wii consoles.

I've bought and returned expensive Panasonic plasmas and NEC IPS LCDs, my main concerns are movies and videogames for individual viewing and nothing competes with this setup yet. It's also set up at the proper height and distance to be the stereo sweet spot of a pair of B&W speakers. Which is why It can't be a widescreen FW900 which would block the sound coming from the speakers in this small room.
 
I don't know anything about Europe but 85Hz is what I used to run in a CRT to minimize eye strain/flickering perception.
 
They say americans are ignorant yet they think were all right wing Bush Cheney lovers. And its nothing like that. What euros needs to understand is that the US is a huge melting pot and you cant just stereotype americans.

And there you go just proving their point. Pot calling kettle black.
 
for any text work 80Hz is minimum bu for multimedia 60Hz don't bug me too much. Sometimes it's even better to use 60Hz if content is 60fps :)
 
I am at work so can't watch much or even hear anything, but it looks to me like a video about a bunch of run down house which is more an indicator of inequality than diversity...

Anyways this thread is very offensive and barely on topic, it should be closed, preferably deleted.

You should be deleted.
Face it, europe sucks, where I lived there were ppl from all euro countrys. And I noticed a general bad attitude towards americans. Which is pure ignorance.
I guess the dutch are alright, but the rest are no picnic.

Russians are alright too, but I would hardly consider that europe, they arent part of the lamo EU.
 
Oh yeah Russian and China are big USA lovers. :D
In which country have you lived?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top