Anyone recommend server 2008 r2 setup guide?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i have been stumbling through server 2008 installing tons of things and trying to get my bearings but i would like a guide that would basically walk me through setting up the domain correctly, getting active directory working, and setting it up to act as DNS server.

recommendations?

Install Server 2008 R2. Install drivers. Install updates. Assign a static IP to the NIC with its DNS server pointing to the IP of the servers' NIC. Run dcpromo and follow the steps. That's the basics really.

From there you can add and configure roles like DHCP server and WINS server. You can also add features as well. You can do all this from the "Server Manager".

in that first sentence, you said assign static IP to the NIC with its DNS server pointing to the IP of the server's NIC ... this may be at the root of my problem.

background:
so far i have done everything you have said, i then setup active directory services and created a domain. i then virtualized a windows 7 pc and when i tried to add it to the domain it errors every time. the server NIC i have a static ip set as:

192.168.1.x
gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1 (should this be 192.168.1.x)?

i won't be using the 192.168.1.x nomenclature for very long because i plan to also setup DHCP on the server as well, but baby steps.

Yeah, if the IP of the server is 192.168.1.10 then it's only DNS server should be 192.168.1.10 because it's doing the internal DNS. You can later set DNS forwarders in the DNS Server Settings that'll forward any external DNS requests through to the servers you specify. Example, you query google.com it'll check itself for that DNS name and if it doesn't have it, it'll forward to your ISP DNS servers or whatever servers you specified.

Also, say your domain name is DOMAIN.local. Try using DOMAIN and DOMAIN.local where you enter in what domain you would like to join. On the client computer make sure it's DNS server is pointing to the IP of the server as well.

Back