anyone network w/ comcast?

laxjax13

Limp Gawd
the comcast tech is going to be here tomorrow to install the cable and i was wondering how difficult it is to share the connection with 2 pc?

ill bring a pc downstairs and ha ve the tech install the stuff on the pc( bringing it downstairs coz thats where my Linksys router is)

after he leaves ill be taking that pc back upstairs, leavingg both the modem and router in the basement.

and upstairs i will already have the Cat5 cables running through the walls into the 2 bedrooms.

can any one give me any tips to make things easier?
i always have problems with changing IPs and stuff like that

Maybe I don't understand what you are asking because it sounds like the physical connectivity is there, what exactly do you think you are going to have problems with?

Well most likely, unless you paid extra, the comcast guy wont even touch your computer except to plug in the cable modem. The rest is up to you. They will simply tap a splitter off a cable line and run it to the modem, then the modem to your computer.

Also, Comcast, like almost every other ISP, will not support your router. The only cases in which I have heard of them supporting a NAT router is if it's one they sold you. So for that part, hit up Google, read the FAQ on this forum, and if something still gives you trouble, ask about it here.

I have Comcast and have 2 PCs sharing the connection through a Microsoft Router. No problems..the router just splits the IP i get from comcast into its own internal IP addressing..

I have Comcast and have 6 computers networked. I have 4 thru an 8 port router and 2 thru a 4 port switch. I have the Business class which gives me 5 static IP's but last year I had the residential, with only 1 IP and had 4 computers on it thru a router. No problems whatsoever, except as has been said, they dont support routers, so If you need help with a connectivity problem, they will have you unhook the router before they will trouble shoot it.

yep... same as the above guys. i have comcast cable modem going to my linksys router. one cable going to my switch and then my 4 pcs hooked up to it. when i hold lans... i have had up to 10 people connected with no problems connecting to the internet. the router will do it all for you. just set it up for dhcp. good luck. plenty of tuts out there that can walk you through it.

-run

thx i had no problems

all i did was hook both pcs up to the router and i immediatly got conenctivity on obth pcs

Comcast does support routers if you pay a few bucks extra each month for their home network service.

Originally posted by Snugglebear
Comcast does support routers if you pay a few bucks extra each month for their home network service.

I just found this out. A friend was just telling me about this yesterday. The catch is that you pay $100 for the install of the network, rent the WiFi equipment from them for a monthly fee, and he said that they bump ur speed up to 5 mbits.

i heard its 4megs and u have to pay like 5 bucks extra monthly on top of installation

Back