Anyone know of a good, safe, free registry defragger?

iamfett

Weaksauce
Anyone know of a good, safe, free registry defragger?
Got experience using it?

I've always questioned the Registry "defraggers" as I don't think they do what they claim, at least in the sense of how data on a hard drive is fragmented. The Registry basically gets loaded into RAM to some degree, soooo... it's not a static thing, not in the least. If you get something like RegMon from Systernals (now part of Microsoft) you'd be astonished to see just how much goes on in the Registry second by second.

I'd say CCleaner is the most recommended 'cleaner' nowadays, and that's about all that really needs to be done with the Registry. Keeping it 'clean' as opposed to being mucked up by hundreds if not thousands of keys and trees inside that are related to software that's no longer installed or whatever, that's the secret to keeping Windows working fairly swift.

It's proven itself over time to be a valuable tool in any toolkit of a Windows user. Highly recommended.

well...
if you think abt what the registry is for and how apps use it, defragging it *could* improve performance w.r.t. HD access

IF an app writes to the registry quite alot (to keep track of recent files, changes, settings... there are some annoying apps that write to the reg alot - use a registry watch to see) THEN a fragmented registry will cause the HD head to jump all over the place w.r.t. the disc platters THUS causing a reduced read/write HD performance for other apps running at the same time.

How much of a reduction of performance??? who knows BUT there will be one (however slight - from a theoretical P.O.V.).
In all fairness the registry is only what??? a few 10s of Megs iirc and a general defrag AND reg cleaning will produce a better end-result then a hive of files that shouldn't be written to that often - sort out the noisy apps (norton was a bugger at one point)

All I can say is be careful. You can REALLY mess things up REALLY fast whenever the registry is involved.

So a general thought would be don't clean it (which I've used CCleaner for years to do so-I've always saved back ups, but never had to use one) and don't defrag it.

Other words, don't fuck with your registry. Am I correct with this?
But damn, like I said, I've used CCleaner for years to clean my registry.:confused:

I never had any good come from defragging registry myself. Also ended up formating afterwards due to errors.

NTREGOPT is what i use and recommend, never had a single problem with it (remember YMMV) :D

NTREGOPT is great but a word of warning...
If you are running Comodo Firewall or any other security software that protects its registry keys, NTREGOPT will not be able to reconstruct those keys so when it recreates the optimised registry you may find that your firewall rules etc have disappeared!

Make sure that no apps have their registry keys protected before running NTREGOPT.
Enable the protection again after running it.

Doesn't the registry have tens of thousands of entries in it? Does removing a dozen entries really make that big of a difference?

That said, I run CCleaner and the registry cleaner removes unused file extensions and other junk. It just makes me feel better.

Other words, don't fuck with your registry. Am I correct with this?
But damn, like I said, I've used CCleaner for years to clean my registry.:confused:
You are confusing a registry defragger with a registry cleaner. Cleaning the registry with a reputable program, such as CCleaner is perfectly fine, and can avoid some issues down the road. It isn't about performance as much as keeping the system clean. Hence the name....Crap Cleaner. A registry defragger is all but useless, so don't waste your time with one.

is there any reason to really defrag your registry.?
i usually just reinstall doze but really don't have to on my Gentoo box.. ^_^

Back