Anyone know how to remedy this?

Wally

2[H]4U
I got fed up with Vista's shitty enforced folders, and started dicking about with them. In proper spanner style, I managed to accidentally switch my "Favorites" folder with my C:Windows one, meaning I no longer have a C:Windows, and the bastard Favorites one in my main directory has all the windows files in.

omgogmgomgoa7.jpg

Like that. 64-bit home premium.

How do I unbreak it?

How exactly did you break it in the first place? Seems like you might need to do some regediting

Format HD

Install XP

Fixed!

This isn't a Vista problem, this falls squarely in the PEBKAC catagory.

wow some help you guys are

here's the fix

goto your user folder, right click on favorites, click on properties, click on the location tab, change back to c:\users\%username%\favorites

Yeah, I know, this was down to me being a dildo rather than Vista, for once.

Ndel, thanks, but I don't seem to have a location tab on either the one under my username's directory or hard drive:

asasgasgsagyi7.jpg

Can't you just use system restore? Just restore yourself to right before everything got screwed up.

Click on start
Click on your name
it should bring up your user directory
right click on favorites
click on location tab
change the location of the favorites back to what it was

You cannot get the locations tab option from a shortcut you have to right click on the directory where its exactly located

Dont reinstall, dont system restore

Thanks so far, but I need to reiterate: neither the "Favorites" in my username directory or the C drive directory has a location tab. I might have to go the system restore route, since nothing else is a possibility, for whatever non-reason.

Thanks so far.

Well, the excellent news is that I have no locations tab, and the oldest restore point dates back to fucking yesterday, somehow.

that's very strange, ensure that the favorites icon is indeed not a shortcut but the actual folder

Thanks so far, but I need to reiterate: neither the "Favorites" in my username directory or the C drive directory has a location tab. I might have to go the system restore route, since nothing else is a possibility, for whatever non-reason.

Thanks so far.

If you follow the link I gave it lists the registry entries for the favorites folder. Did you check the registry to see what it says? Does it match the location it is in now, or does it show the default location?
The default should be %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

I'll have a check - the thing is, it's not the username>favorites folder that's the issue, it's the c>windows which i've swapped with favorites, so surely I need to look at the registry entries for the C>windows folder instead?

Sorry, thanks for the help, this is all just confusing me no end.

Ah: reading the link closer, it's actually a tutorial on how to do exactly what i'm trying to undo. I did that by accident, redirecting Favorites to Windows, and want it back.

asfsafasflb1.jpg

change the environment variable to %userprofile%\favorites

you're on the right path !

Change %SystemRoot% to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites and you're done. May have to reboot if it doesn't work immediately.

Thanks. Sorry i'm being so dense, but after I managed to do this I don't trust myself with any but the plainest instructions, for fear I balls it up further.

That seemed to work as far as losing the "Favorites" in my username directory, but the "Favorites" in my C (my Windows folder) is still called "Favorites", and as such any relevant stuff I try and install that goes looking for the Windows directory is still stumped. Was that meant to change too?

Ok, I reread your first post and I missed the fact that the Favorites folder on your C: drive actually was your Windows folder renamed. I assume your Favorites folder is fixed but Windows is still broken. If someone else doesn't answer first I will look for an answer. There is no rename option on the Windows folder, and F2 doesn't work either. Must be another registry entry.

--Wow, not looking good so far. I can't believe Vista let you rename the Windows folder. I guess that's why I overlooked it to start with. Didn't think you could and have your computer still boot. I'm not finding much so far. I could walk you through an educated guess but I don't want to hose your machine. Unless I can dig up something or someone else does, it looks like your best options are live with it or reformat.

Is there a desktop.ini in C:\Windows ? Try deleting/renaming it. I'm not sure if that could really be any help, but..

Unfortunately not.

Bollocks. Was hoping not to reformat, as I only did so last week.

Thanks for the help so far.

Back