Anyone have clients that run their resorts/clubs on ClubSystems?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
So had a preliminary meeting yesterday at one of my golf club/summer camp resort clients....a small club out on an island.

They've been running on Club Connect, which was a popular club management software. They're looking to add a new module to it which will interface with a new website that they'll be getting, customers of theirs can log into the main website...go through a portal, and view statements, and sign up for various events, schedules, etc.

This part has modest requirements, just some flavor of SQL, SQL Express is even supported. The servers needs to have .NET Frame 3.5, OK, no problem. IIS 6, OK..no problem. Static public IP, no problem...they can upgrade to that. So I'm thinking.."Cool...finally time to get SBS in there...SBS08 Premium will cover all that!"..and introduce some additional cool features to their 2x site organization. The minimum requirements list states Server 2003 and Server 2008.

And then they tell me that they'll be upgrading the accounting component of this product next year, to the new super version called ClubSelect. Now this accounting backend runs on Access..and old version. So the ClubSystems guys e-mails me the server requirements for the new ClubSelect package.
Server 2003, 32 bit only. :rolleyes: and SQL Standard 2005 only.

WTF, to comply with both of these products, I'm stuck using SBS03 Premium? Dang.

I'm half thinking about getting SBS 08 Premium....which up until this summer still comes bundled with SQL 2005 and a separate Server 2008 license. ESXi. Install 32 bit...but still be stuck with no vendor support for server 08. Ugh.

Gah, I'm just not wanting to roll out a brand new server with an 03 product on it...I have no upgrade path down the road.

Anyways, WTF with a software companies products being so different in requirements.

I agree! I'm in a similar situation myself. A client wanted to put in a server into their network (10x workstations and a remote office on top) and wanted some of the features of SBS 2008. Great! They want to deploy an EMR solution as well, and the vendor tells me, only 32 bit as well. Because of the circumstances I went with SBS 2008 Standard plus a license for Server 2008 R2 Standard w/ downgrade to 2008 Standard. I would go the EBS 2008 route though in your case because 2008 adds a lot of neat and simpler things vs. 2003. Plus the license for a separate SQL box is definitely a big plus. I prefer doing separate servers because you don't put all your eggs in one basket. If your DC goes down for some reason, at least the app and database are still up and running. Or vice versa.

Yeah his budget is pretty much 15k roof..including my time. It's a 13 hour day over on this island when I factor in riding the ferry each morning (early) and coming home after dinner.

SBS08 Premium license allows a 2nd server...a stand alone 2008 server for SQL...so that separates the 2x eggs from the same basket. So I could slap in a 32 bit 08 box with SQL 05. But it appears the accounting end of the software support still won't touch Server 08...only Server 03.

Hmmm....Microsoft licensing usually backwards compatible..at least with eOpen, could maybe make a call to MS licensing support for a special code to install Server 03 under the 08 license.

1x physical box, ESXi, 2x virtual servers...SBS08 for 1, and Server 03 with SQL 05 for the second. //drums fingers on desk....

I'm just curious, but with WoW in 64-bit 2008, don't 99% of apps run well in native 32-bit mode? Or are these suites part of that 1%?

You can definitely downgrade the 2008 Std Server to 2003. I did it through the activation department, and just with the account information, they e-mailed me a new key within minutes. The only catch with downgrades is that depending on how you bought the original software, they won't give you media for downgrade. So if you do get 2008 standard, they'll give you the 2003 license, but find your own bootable CD. I wanted a 2008 DVD when I downgraded from 2008 R2, and they wouldn't sell me it, nor let me download it from MS.

I think you're on the right track. You might want to look at some of the bundles you can get with OEM SBS licensing. You can do something like a Quad Core ML350 G6 with plenty of horsepower and space with SBS 2008 premium included. Save a few dollars that way.

I'm just curious, but with WoW in 64-bit 2008, don't 99% of apps run well in native 32-bit mode? Or are these suites part of that 1%?

Depending on the vendor, the app might run fine, but they won't offer support. Usually they are either still testing the app, or haven't "certified" the app yet to run under x64. I had that situation, and they specifically told me, we see its on x64, we're not doing anything. You can deal with that headache yourself.

Depending on the vendor, the app might run fine, but they won't offer support. Usually they are either still testing the app, or haven't "certified" the app yet to run under x64. I had that situation, and they specifically told me, we see its on x64, we're not doing anything. You can deal with that headache yourself.

Yeah....I hear you on that one. In come cases, I'd not mind that. But after experience with this software with a couple of clients...it's VERY twitchy, and they're always calling support and having custom things done, ironing out problems, tweaking it,...just lots of issues where support is frequently Bomgar'd into the clients server doing some fiddling. That being said, I feel my hands are tied staying withing the boundaries of what support dictates.

I'm just venting, frustrated by this....huge inconsistency by ClubSystems, since so many of their modules are usually run by a club/resort...one would think that their modules would fairly consistent as far as server requirements.

Back