Any way to install WinCE emulator without tearing yourself a new old security hole?

Nazo

2[H]4U
MS's article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891667/

I just recently got a Pocket PC from my dad who apparently never used the thing (his mistake.) I picked up the Embedded Visual Tools and started to try it out to see if I could rig up a relatively simple little program to do something I wanted. Unfortunately, once it starts installing the SDK for the thing, I start immediately running into errors. Apparently Virtual PC, WinCE edition has some fatal flaws when it comes to DEP. Microsoft's solution, just shut off DEP, defeating one of the nicest security measures added to Windows in quite a while. I don't really want to do this though. What I'm wondering is, if there isn't some way you can just manually add the files needing DEP off to the exclude list. I've tried adding the one file they mention in that article, but, there must be other files as well because I still get error and a BSOD if I try to use the stupid thing. Unfortunately, Embedded Visual Tools relies on this emulation a lot more than is reasonable, and, naturally, while Embedded Visual Tools will install on an older version of Windows, the SDK requires a much newer version of Windows than I'm running on the HTPC.

Microsoft's solution may be ok for them -- clearly they don't care about security holes as they have shown numerous times in the past. I do care though. I LIKE DEP and I don't want to disable it on MS's every little whim.

Isn't anyone even willing to take a wild guess at it? I might add that, from what they say on there, this may apply to Visual Studio .NET 2003 as well. For that matter, it may occur on 2005 if it follows in the footsteps of it's predecessor if the only reason it's not on that list is the fact that it's too newly released.

Earlier it struck me that this "solution" of theirs is rather similar to if someone said "I want to run a web server on my system, but, incoming connections aren't coming through" and MS responds "your firewall is blocking incoming connections. Here is how to disable your firewall:"

Back