Any suggestions?

song

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
256
Hi all. I am moving into a condo and have a set of logitech z5500's. In my house now even with them on very low I can hear them directly underneath (the subwoofer) and it penetrates the downstairs ceiling. Im worried because if I ever want them on normal volume Im afraid my neighbors downstairs will hear them. Im only concerned about the subwoofer. I was wondering if there is some sort of "mat" or something that I can put underneath the sub to prevent it from penetrating so easily if thats the case in my condo. I want something that will obviously preserve the sound quality of the sub just don't want alot of the sound waves from the sub going to the bottom house. Any suggestions?
 
A masonry block should do it. Turn down the bass volume a bit if it has separate control. Hopefully the condo will have decent sound proofing.
 
A masonry block should do it. Turn down the bass volume a bit if it has separate control. Hopefully the condo will have decent sound proofing.

Well I would assume. The house im in has absolutely no sound proofing or anything. It was built in the early 1900's and doesn't even have insulation! The condo seems fairly new and has central air and everything.
 
what do I do? Just stack like 2-3 blocks together and put the sub on top? Would it deteriorate sound quality?

Hollow, thin, or solid? I would assume solid.

Can I buy these at like Home Depot or something?
 
what do I do? Just stack like 2-3 blocks together and put the sub on top? Would it deteriorate sound quality?

Hollow, thin, or solid? I would assume solid.

Can I buy these at like Home Depot or something?

I mean like a paving stone that is the same base size as your sub. That will stop the vibrations going through the floor directly beneath the sub. http://www.pavingstones.com/

It will change the sound slightly but you may prefer it as it will give it a bit tighter sound. Lots of audiophiles place speakers on heavy stands for that reason. I've used glass below my sub before and have placed speakers on concrete pillars. I have a downward firing sub now though so don't place anything under it.
 
Back
Top