Any recommendations for Bluetooth earbuds?

Waldorf

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
102
I have a MythTV setup in my bedroom. I currently use a set of over the ear infra-red headphones with it. However, due to their bulk it makes falling asleep with them on uncomfortable and a pain.

I'm looking for recommendations and advice on Bluetooth earbuds. I'm not interested in Bluetooth headphones.

I believe I will need some kind of Bluetooth device that will plug into my sound card to transmit the sound? Do most Bluetooth earbuds/headphones come with these transmission devices, or do you need to purchase then separately? Any recommendations?

It also seems like there are certain specs for transmitting audio (whether music or phone calls) over Bluetooth? Can anyone elaborate on these more?

Finally, does anyone have recommendations for specific earbuds? Price and sound quality don't matter. A receiving device and cords that can lay on my chest would be okay (like the Plantronics). However, the most important factor is that I need to be able to turn my head and possibly lay on them. Something that drops straight down out of the ear would be best. Something like the Ety8s wouldn't work.
 
Well, I decided to head to my local Fry's and see what they had. They only had one set of Bluetooth earbuds; the Coby CV-E162. They were $69.99US.

There are two parts to the headset. The first part is a transmitter that you can plug into your computer via mini-USB or you can plug it into any device that has a stereo mini-jack. The second part is the actual part you wear; the receiver with the earbuds. When you search the web for pictures of the unit, almost all of them are showing the receiver.

Unfortunately, the unit did not work out for me. Here is why:

The transmitter contains a battery. You recharge the battery by plugging the transmitter in via mini-USB. However, the transmitter is also designed to operate via USB. The transmitter comes with a CD so you can install software (on your Windows PC) to make your PC transmit sound over USB to the transmitter. Unfortunately, you can't have the USB cable plugged in to recharge the unit and use the mini-jack at the same time. If you have the USB cable plugged into the PC, they assume that you also want to use the unit via USB. This occurs even if you don't plug the other end of the USB cable into a computer, but instead something like a 5v USB wall charger.

This effectively makes the unit useless. You can't leave the transmitter plugged into the sound card on your PC, because once the battery dies, you need to unplug it from the sound card and plug it back in via USB. You'd have to keep going back and forth between plugging it in via USB and plugging it in via the mini-jack.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find another transmitter that doesn't suffer from this flaw. I suppose the headset would work with another transmitter if I could find one. Otherwise, this unit will only be good for using with my PSP.
 
Back
Top