any phone providers allowing use as modem

sparks

2[H]4U
I was trying to get my new laptop connected with my cingular phone so I could use it as a modem when I didn't have wireless access. I called to get a cable and was told flat out that they DO NOT allow or support the use of their phones as a modem for a computer.

OH what now?

thanks for any ideas...I was not going to ul and dl huge data chunks just surf the net.
Never thought about how much bandwidth that takes.

sparks

Sprint does and so does Verizon, but this requires a extra option on your account. Many phones support data transfer via USB or bluetooth connection.

Verizon works pretty well too. I get about 120Kb down/50Kb up where I live. It's not great, but way better than dialup.

Forgot to mention. You should check out HowardForums. It's likely somebody has figured out how to do it with Cingular.

thanks for the info.

a couple of questions.

is the extra charge a set fee, bytes used or ?

second question HowardForums ?

sparks

I use Verizon's EVDO (~900kbps) network through my Treo 700w. I use an application called PdaNet which allows me to connect my laptop either through the USB cable or through Bluetooth. The USB cable is a much better option IMHO because bluetooth is too slow to keep up with the EVDO connection if you have a solid signal.

Thanks for the help.
After following the cingular link and seeing the data listings.
I called back and the guy said sure you can do that. Its easiest with
a pda phone and a data cable but you can do it with others as well.

So I got some info and going to figure out what I need most.

thanks again

sparks

Nobody wants you to be able to use your phone as a 'modem', because then you can't pay out the ass for their "data plans". But I do it anyways. Free weekend/nights ftw. :D

Seriously, dont go paying for any data plans the way they get average joe to use his phone to surf the net on his computer.

You just set up your phone as a modem using a USB data cable or bluetooth and ur golden, just make sure you use it during free nights / weekends or youll rack up those minutes fast :)

VulcaN said:
Seriously, dont go paying for any data plans the way they get average joe to use his phone to surf the net on his computer.

You just set up your phone as a modem using a USB data cable or bluetooth and ur golden, just make sure you use it during free nights / weekends or youll rack up those minutes fast :)

Paying $49.99 for unlimited data @ 900Kbps is a bargain compared to alternatives like $30.00 per month just to use the WiFi at Starbucks...

For us Road Warriors I consider it a must have, especially considering I carry a Treo 700w that syncs with our Exchange server (through Verizon's EVDO network) for email, calendar, and contacts...

I guess it really depends on what your needs are...

VulcaN said:

If you use GPRS for the data, minutes are not an issue. Unless you are Dialing your own ISP, you need a data package or you are going to pay THROUGH THE NOSE for data.

I guess its different per carrier, with Verizon, you can access the net via setting up your phone as a modem it just uses your minutes, ive been connecting my phones to my laptop since the VX6000 came out and never bought the overpriced data packages, just make sure I only use it during free nights and weekends to avoid running thru all my minutes

VulcaN said:
I guess its different per carrier, with Verizon, you can access the net via setting up your phone as a modem it just uses your minutes, ive been connecting my phones to my laptop since the VX6000 came out and never bought the overpriced data packages, just make sure I only use it during free nights and weekends to avoid running thru all my minutes
unless you are actually running (as, and at) 56k, that makes no sense.

T-Mobile does. If your in an EDGE area, and have an edge phone speeds are 200KBPS. If not you get around 50KBPS. Not too bad. Unlimited Data plan with a phone is $30 per month. In certain areas you can use a proxy and pay $5.99 for T-Zones. Thats what I am doing. I don't use the internet enough on my SDA to justify spending $30 for internet.

Maybe someone can clarify my limited understanding:
I thought that there were two options to use a cell-phone as a modem:

1. use the Cell as a real modem, i.e. place a call for 1-800-4MY-ISP0 and have pretty pathetic data rates (64 kbit/s).
2. use GRPS/ EDGE whatever but that requires the "pay through the nose" data plan, in which case your cell provider is your ISP

drizzt81 said:

1. use the Cell as a real modem, i.e. place a call for 1-800-4MY-ISP0 and have pretty pathetic data rates (64 kbit/s).
2. use GRPS/ EDGE whatever but that requires the "pay through the nose" data plan, in which case your cell provider is your ISP

That was my understanding on this. Personally id almost go for #1 if you an on the go person, because you can pull in anywhere with a phone line and dial into a cheap ISP with a 1-800 number. It may be slow, but if your just doing it to send faxes, check email or stocks... Its enough to cut the mustard.

Also, there are cellular PCMCIA modems for laptops.

drizzt81 said:

More like:
1. Dial ISP(only if your plan supports this, newer GSM service plans do NOT), pay for minutes, get 9.6-14.4Kbits.

Verizon/Sprint:
1xRTT has speeds averaging from 50 to 144 Kbps.

EV-DO delivers average speeds of 300 to 500 Kbps, although it promises speeds up to 2.4 Mbps. Offered by Verizon; Sprint will roll out EV-DO later this year.

Cingular/T-Mobile:
GPRS offers data speeds of around 30 to 50 Kbps. Currently almost all GSM networks have GPRS.

EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) This 3G network is the second upgrade to GSM and a software upgrade to GPRS. Class 10 EDGE offers up to 236 Kbps. Cingular has converted to EDGE, and T-Mobile is following.

UMTS* offers average speeds of 220 to 320 Kbps. It also allows for videophone calls.
*It appears that Cingular is skipping UMTS (It has done some implimentation) in favor of a full HSDPA roll out.

HSDPA allows for faster data speeds—up to 10 Mbps. The implementation Cingular hopes to launch in the U.S. (by year's end), however, will offer 400-to 700-Kbps data rates to start.

Back