any pfsense guru in here? I got a question for you

Hey Pfsense Guru's
I just want to know if pfsense can do this on all one machine or not? but here it goes I need to limit bandwidth to 4 to 6 servers with a 30-50meg business coax connection and be able to give each server server its own static IP address.

Yep. You'll be using transparent firewall modes for the static server IPs, and then using Queues to do bandwidth limits and rate limits.

There might be a better way to do connection limiting, but that's what I use. Maybe someone else knows more.

Well I would like to have each server connected to the pfsense with out setting up ethernet switch so I probably get 3 dual intel nic cards and connect it to a old p4 motherboard. If that is even possible to do.

Then you're correct, if you're not going to use a switch, you'll need an interface per server, plus wan, plus maybe the rest of the LAN? This would be much cleaner, and probably cheaper to do with a small managed switch and VLAN trunking to the pfsense box. Each VLAN will look like a separate interface in the management GUI.

Now other question would a old intel board with p3 with 512 mb would be able to handle 45meg out of 50meg connection without problems? I am just trying to piece together pfsense box what parts I have.

Now other question would a old intel board with p3 with 512 mb would be able to handle 45meg out of 50meg connection without problems? I am just trying to piece together pfsense box what parts I have.

such a old machine with way to many limits..

Id hit up something newer, less power hungry.

Remember about the pci slots, one slot per nic.

the more memory the better..

Don't build a bottleneck piece of equipment..

so your saying get a p4 machine or p4 motherboard? bc the intel board I have is the D815EEA with the 370 socket in it.

Last edited:
so your saying get a p4 machine or p4 motherboard? bc the intel board I have is the D815EEA with the 370 socket in it.

is that all you have ? ap4 is ok, but remember it makes lots of heat and requires tons of power.. Do you have $$ to putinto building a cheaper more efficient one ?

that p3 intel board is only thing I have right now intill I get some serious money to replace the machine.

Fireboxes are P3 1.2/1.4GHz systems, and the are considered by many to be able to route 300-450mpbs without much hiccups. You should be fine unless you're doing crazy package configurations like Squid, etc...

Why would you make a Rube Goldberg? Get a switch. Your pfSense box only needs two NICs.

Back