any other psu possibilities?

bleed3r

Limp Gawd
Well in my rig right now, the 200W psu is hugely bottlenecking me.

Everything else is out of the picture. This sucker can get so hot to the touch. I only noticed it was a problem when I was overclocking one day and at 1.875v the system died (with load temps all around in 20s/30s) and the psu was burning hot and I started to notice it stunk.

Well, without further explaining of other issues and crappyness from it, I need to get rid of this thing and get a new psu.

the pc40, or the silentX 250w psu is the easiest option, yet it would be nice to have more headroom.

There is a lot of free volume in my shuttle, with no optical, and only needing one or two hard drives.

Here is how I have them now:

cage1.jpg

And I did this before when I was only using one of them:

6.jpg

Now, I'd still prefer an internal solution. There is a lot of room in this shuttle. If it werent for the height of the ICE, or if I'd rather some other cooling solution, I would surely go for some 1u case, or come up with a very slim/small solution.

So, the possibilities. There are 1u,2u psus. But starting with the 1u, they cant be mounted in the same spot as the current psu without extending down into the caps/mosfet area. Solution could be to cut out the top frame accordingly to make clearance and mount it somehow.
They vary in size alot though, and thus specs. Is there any place that has various server psus (quality), other than say ebay where I've been looking (not newegg or unavail to canada), or know of any with good dimensions?

Another possiblity, is having a psu mounted in some other place, ie, in the top of the shuttle, or in the drive cage area, replacing the hdds towards the old psu place in this case.

There are surely all other kinds of slim etc psus of different shapes, maby there could be one of these that if small enough I could use for devices etc with the current psu for mobo/cpu only (if its reliable)

Ummmm, give me ideas.

1u/2u psu in 5.25 "area" w fan dumping into ICE, or little custom 40x40 duct out the case, and its intake fan drawing fresh air ducted from side or something.

ok, I found some power supplies that look like they arent 100mm wide like most other 1u units.

Because, normaly, they are 100mm wide with a 40mm fan, plug/socket, and a switch.
But these pictures only show what looks like a 40mm and the plug/socket, thus similar in size to the shuttles 80mm wide psu, that only has the 40mm fan and socket.

The manufacturer has no specs for dimensions on them it seems, only a pdf matrix of the different power ratings, sizes, and volts/amps.

They are supermicro power supplies.

See this 1u unit here

See what I mean by the width? :)

But....consequently, it might be like a foot long :rolleyes:

All their website has is a price list
Yay! :rolleyes:

Anyone know of these? Know where I could get the dimensions for any of them without emailing and waiting manufacturers/stores?

Looks like it could work well for me, depending on which models actualy are similar to that picture, meaning they would fit in my shuttle without hitting the caps.

Hmmm... you could be onto something here. I took a look at the 1U and 2U servers we have at work (HP's) and they are all about 10 inches long (and they are the 80mm wide type). Using my highly scientific skills :rolleyes: I printed a picture of this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-104-116&DEPA=0 and measured it. I'm guessing the the fans are 40x25ish, so 25 mm = roughly 1 inch. Using that as a reference point I guestimated that this PS is about 10 inches. Seeing a pattern here, perhaps that's the standard for 1U and 2U servers?

*EDIT* ok, little more research. Found some spec's on dimensions here:
http://www.rackmountmart.com/ps/ups.htm
Looks like most of the 1U's are 200-250mm deep (about 10 inches) and them seem to increase in length with proportion to the wattage (higher = longer). Of course, all of this is speculation until you drop the 160.00, buy it and we find out! :D Seriously, I've been thinking about something like this and what I'm doing right now is providing power to some of the peripherials in my shuttle (fans, DVD-RW, and Video card) from my external water cooling box (custom built by meh). I basically extened one of the molex power cables from the WC box to inside my shuttle. Although, I'm not very happy with it. I'd much rather have a better PS inside the shuttle than outside. I have thought about removing the shuttle 250 watt PSand just using a standard 465 watt power supply with the cables going though where the old PS was.

200mm might be the right length to stop. This would bring the psu just over the 12v atx, before the ram.
If longer, say 250mm, it would go all the way up to the mobo atx power connector, and the ram is probly in the way.

But for some extra give, you could probly cut the back and extend the psu out the back a bit.

But, with those specific power supplies from supermicro I was looking at, they might be "cold swap"
So wouldnt that mean that they just have some big chunck of connector that would just plug into the server it was designed for? That might make things hard for these specific ones, but things are already hard in terms of finding specific images/dimensions of their individual psus.

Anyways, the hunt is on for 1u power supplies ~80mm wide and around 200mm long, and then pretty much standard ~40mm wide.

we might find something dude :cool:

Well, still looking but not finding anything promising. The supermicro power supply you're looking at is made for the 6012P-6 server and it does have the cold swap power connector. I guess you could figure out what goes where and create a standard ATX connector for it.... I'm to lazy for all that. I think what I will probably wind up doing is getting an ATX power supply, removing the stock one, and hanging the cables through the hole in the back. Not pretty but it would work it think. I'll sell you my leftover 250 watt shuttle power supply :D

Back