Any admin'd NOD32 Business Edition or Webroot AntiSpyware Corporate Edition?

HDClown

Limp Gawd
I've picked up a new customer with my IT Consulting business and the previous IT consultant implemented ESET NOD32 Business Edition and WebRoot AntiSpyware Corporate Edition

I've never used NOD32 in the past, but I frequently see it being recommended as a good product for personal AV use. I demo'd Webroot when it came out years ago but never administrated it.

I've spent a little bit of time with both products over the past few days. I've found things I don't like about the central admin of both, but the same can be said for every AV/AS product (and I've used most of the other ones) over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone has used/admin'd these in a business environment and has opinions on their effectiveness, resource use, centralized capabilities, overall quality, etc. I don't like having to run 2 separate products to do AV/AS as that consumes more resources. I'm like to get to 1 product for both. Webroot has a version that adds AV. Not sure what ESET has in terms of AS. Sunbelt-Software's VIPRE Enterprise has also gotten a lot of good press and I may consider looking into that. They are offering a $10/seat promo upgrade for customers using competitors products.

NOD32 has such a low memory footprint that running a secondary antispyware program shouldn't hurt a system at all. Generally speaking, specialized programs tend to turn better results than suites (at least that has been my experience).

Esets NOD32 antivirus is very effective. I've installed and manage many..many installations of their business edition product, managing them from the RAS/RAC. Can be a bit overwhelming for some people up front, but once you learn it a bit more..it can be very granular for you.

Webroots product is pretty decent....I only have experience with its stand alone product, can slow down browsing a bit....I don't know if I'd like it running in addition to Esets product..might make for a "slow down" combo.

I prefer to have my secondary scanning done at the gateway, thus no workstation slowdown. www.untangle.com

I use nod32 in our office it is a GREAT program. I use Nod32 and SAS (pay version)

That's good info on the low footprint for NOD32. ESET has never been a big name in corporate/enterprise AV it seems, but maybe I need to start considering it more.

Does NOD32 Business have any AnitSpyware/AntiMalware built in? Haven't had enough time to research into those aspects. If it does, how effective is it?

These days, the focus is on AntiSpyware/AntiMalware more so than AV IMO. So a product more focuses on AS/AM that also has an AV engine is generally more effective than a product focussed around AV product with an AS/AM engine. Example: Trend/Symantec/McAfee are old school AV products that add AS/AM and the AS/AM is pretty useless (I run/admin all 3).

The products not from the "big 3" seem to be much more effective at AS/AM. One of the reasons I wanted to check into VIPRE Enterprise is that it's CounterSpy (which is AS/AM only) with an AV engine added in.

Thanks for the link to untangle. I've heard the name before but only in passing. I like gateway products but in the SMB market, the cost is usually far to high. I've never been a fan of mixing in a NIX based product in an SMB that is 100% windows, but most of the free stuff is open-source NIX, so I may just have to start biting the bullet there and looking into this segment more. The Untangle approach with a VMware appliance is a nice option however. Definitly going to research this more because it means I can run it on the existing Windows server.

That's good info on the low footprint for NOD32. ESET has never been a big name in corporate/enterprise AV it seems, but maybe I need to start considering it more.

Does NOD32 Business have any AnitSpyware/AntiMalware built in? Haven't had enough time to research into those aspects. If it does, how effective is it?

These days, the focus is on AntiSpyware/AntiMalware more so than AV IMO. So a product more focuses on AS/AM that also has an AV engine is generally more effective than a product focussed around AV product with an AS/AM engine. Example: Trend/Symantec/McAfee are old school AV products that add AS/AM and the AS/AM is pretty useless (I run/admin all 3).

The products not from the "big 3" seem to be much more effective at AS/AM. One of the reasons I wanted to check into VIPRE Enterprise is that it's CounterSpy (which is AS/AM only) with an AV engine added in.

Thanks for the link to untangle. I've heard the name before but only in passing. I like gateway products but in the SMB market, the cost is usually far to high. I've never been a fan of mixing in a NIX based product in an SMB that is 100% windows, but most of the free stuff is open-source NIX, so I may just have to start biting the bullet there and looking into this segment more.

They have a security suite, i dont recommend it. I would get the nod32 AV then like SAS or spysweeper for malware

SAS isn't an option, no central administration. Anything I deploy to SMB must be centrally controlled. I would love to see MBAM converted to a corporate grade product with a central management/deployment console.

Thanks for the link to untangle. I've heard the name before but only in passing. I like gateway products but in the SMB market, the cost is usually far to high. I've never been a fan of mixing in a NIX based product in an SMB that is 100% windows, but most of the free stuff is open-source NIX, so I may just have to start biting the bullet there and looking into this segment more. The Untangle approach with a VMware appliance is a nice option however. Definitly going to research this more because it means I can run it on the existing Windows server.

NOD32 is well known for being a total "anti threat" product...more than just a plain antivirus. Actually over the past several years most antivirus brands have expanded to be anti virus/adware/spyware/trojan/rootkit, etc.

Esets focus has been more in the business network world, similar to Sophos...hasn't been much of a stand alone retail product for the home environment.

The cost of Untangle for SMB is actually what makes it attractive...the open source version is FREE! You stick it on your own hardware..just an hour to install it and piddle with it to get it setup. Snag some early P4 small form factor desktop, stick a 2nd NIC in it, a gig or two or RAM..and whammo! There she goes!

Mixing nix and windows..that's really nothing that should be considered. You have your own off the shelf router at home..like a Stinksys or Nutgear or DStink? Guess what they're often running? Yeah..they're own flavor of *nix under there. ;)

What's nice about Untangle...the clients of mine (all SMB) that I've set it up at...I've noticed a marketed reduction in the rogue antivirus occurances, and the few that slip by...seem to be stopped doing the rest of their install..so they're easy to clean.

I looked into Sophos for a large 1000 seat corporate environment a while back but didn't like the Exchange product. It was the first port off the Linux product (which is great) but the Windows port wasn't ready for prime time. Haven't looked at it since.

Looked over at ESET"s site and I see the AS is part of the AntiVirus product, so I will have to explore more into that. I've spent more time looking at the Webroot stuff for this particular customer. I see it has all the typical specific categories for trojan, rootkit, BHO, etc. Does ESET have these categories as well? What I noticed to be really nice about Webroot is that you can control these all individually for protection and exclusion. It's often to common for vendors to look protection together making it hard to be granular. How is ESET In this regard?

The othe ESET product, Smart Security, seems to just add desktop firewall and Anti Spam. I'm not a fan of Anti Spam at the desktop level either, I prefer to handle that on the mail server if they have one. If it's just 3rd party mail, then it makes sense to have on the desktop. I don't typically do desktop firewall either (aside from basic inbound, and the Windows Fireall is effective enough for this IMO, plus GPO controlled), so there's probably not much use for the Smart Security product. Do you ever deploy that one?

Speaking of AntiSpam.., for SMB environmnts where you use ESET and they have their own in house Exchange server (ex: SBS2003 or SBS2008), what are you using for AntiSpam and AntiVirus at the Exchange level?

PS - I run a Cisco ASA5505 at home, and all my current customers happen to have a Cisco PIX or ASA as well. I try to steer clear of the typical $50-100 Cable/DSL routers for SMB environments, especially if they host their own e-mail/website/etc.

Do you recommend Untangle on XP as a re-router or the VMware appliance route?

Last edited:
I don't use Esets ESS, only their pure AV product.
For my clients with Exchange Servers...I use their Exchange component, called XMON. It's antivirus and anti phishing.

For anti SPAM..I have some clients on Appriver, and a lot with a data center upstairs that does SMTP smart hosting. I prefer SMTP smart hosts...that way I can put ACLs on the Exchange box so port 25 is only..only...allowing connections from the hosts IPs...instead of wide open to the world getting poked and probed by hackers. Also this allows SMTP forwarding to the hosts outbound servers...so I never..ever...ever have to deal with getting blacklisted or even wasting a minutes time dealing with RevDNS/PTR and crap like that.

Also for further anti spam and virus protection....Untangle happens to do that very well.

I use dedicated appliances for Untangle. Their WIndows XP ReRouter is really just a little sales demo tool, not recommended for production environments. It will work OK for home use. I'm also not a fan of having your edge appliance in the VMWare environment...I prefer a dedicated hardware box..with it's own red NIC being the only thing on the public interface.

Back