Annoying RDP Issue

Flapjack

2[H]4U
When I have to reboot a server (primarily Win2k8 on my network), I cannot RDP into the systems for about 5-10 minutes. You can log into the console just fine, just not RDP. If you do a netstat, you can see port 3389 is not even listening. On the client-side, the RDP session just sits at "Initiating remote connection..." for a few seconds, until it bombs out. It doesn't seem to matter if I allow any version of RDP, or restrict RDP to NLA sessions. After as early as 5 minutes, and as late as 15 minutes (after the server is fully booted up with a CTRL+ALT+DELETE prompt on the console), you can finally RDP into it. You can also do another netstat and see 3389 open.

I run all my servers in a Xen environment, but I'm pretty sure this issue has happened in the past, on physical platforms as well.

Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is to check the RDS service to see if its set to start automatically, it may be set to automatic delay or even being triggered manually by another service dependent on it. Ive got a few servers here spanning Server 2003 to Server 2012 that don't exhibit that.

It's set to start on automatic.

I'm wondering if it does have something to do with the virtualization. It's been so long since I've had physical servers, it may just be that I've forgotten when the issue first started (it's been years).

Back