[AnandTech] 14 AIO closed loop coolers tested

octoberasian

2[H]4U
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7738/closed-loop-aio-liquid-coolers

There have been tens of AIO (All-in-One) closed loop liquid coolers released just in 2013; today, we are having a roundup with 14 of them, coming from five different manufacturers, alphabetically listed in the table below.
An interesting read, in my opinion. If you're considering the out-of-stock/may-soon-be-in-stock NZXT Kraken G10 for your next graphics card, they even tested the AIO coolers on how they perform when the thermal load is above 200W. So, if going for something like the 780 Ti or 290X, may take a look at which [compatible] AIO liquid cooler would suffice for those video cards.

(Just hope you don't mind the noise for some of them.)

What is the downside to the Corsair H110? Size?
According to AnandTech:
Finally, the last AIO cooler from Corsair that we have tested, the Hydro H110, possibly stands as the performance winner of this roundup. Although it does not have the best thermal performance, it is very close to the top of the charts and manages to do so while maintaining very low noise levels. However, the size of the radiator limits the compatibility of the cooler with only a handful of cases currently available and, considering that the retail price of the H110 is over $125 at the time of this review, it is a costly thermal solution.
Its size-- limits the number of cases you can use it in, and the price. It's costlier than the H100 and H100i

Last edited:
The downside to corsair AIO loop coolers is simple: when they leak you are out of luck. I was. my H100i leaked after 2 months. it destroyed my new PC. I got it RMA'd and got a new one. but.. where to put it since my PC died? well, that was not corsair's problem. here's your new cooler! case closed. what? your videocard died? your mainboard is damaged? your harddisk learned to swim? LALALALA! can't hear you! goodbye!

search the corsair forums (or google) for "h100I leak" it will show the right thread.

The downside to corsair AIO loop coolers is simple: when they leak you are out of luck. I was. my H100i leaked after 2 months. it destroyed my new PC. I got it RMA'd and got a new one. but.. where to put it since my PC died? well, that was not corsair's problem. here's your new cooler! case closed. what? your videocard died? your mainboard is damaged? your harddisk learned to swim? LALALALA! can't hear you! goodbye!

search the corsair forums (or google) for "h100I leak" it will show the right thread.

Where did you buy your cooler?

I'm interested in researching this issue. I had this happen to me with a Corsair h80i but I had just installed it and was messing about with the computer laid down flat and powered off when I noticed a small oily puddle forming on my work mat. It had been leaking slowly with the machine powered on, as well, and the coolant that was left behind in the chassis had cooked off or evaporated and left a chalky residue behind. No damage but not cool.

I thought about this a while and decided to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt and blame the distributor (fucking Newegg...).

My next test was to order a cooler direct from the manufacturer. I went with the H55(H50) instead after watching a video on the installation. I hated installing the h80i on my z87 board. The pump mounting mechanism really didn't work.

The unit I ordered direct from Corsair came with a little bow on it like almost saying, "see we packed this just for you because you bought it direct and you have nothing to fear...". I've lost track how long it's been since I installed the thing, maybe 2 months? I love it and I'm probably going to get into custom loops now since I've already had a complete leak disaster and lived to tell about it. Frankly if this unit blew up and killed my sig system I would probably file a homeowners insurance claim and all I'd be out is the deductible, which is typically $500.

I've heard of these horror stories of AIO coolers, particularly those from Corsair.

Those with AIO coolers-- Corsair or other brands-- which do you believe is the most reliable?

In other words, something that'd last more than three years.

I went with the H80i for the smaller footprint and ability to software control it. No leaking after 3.5 months and it performs excellent. I have no complaints.

As for leaking. Look, even the best custom loops leak. The horror stories are abundant. Any time you are putting liquid inside of your computer case there is a risk. If you can't afford to pay for that risk, then you shouldn't play with water cooling.

You're paying good money for your computer. Sometimes in the thousands. Call your insurance agent and add your equipment to a policy.

I had the H100i and the H110. If your case can hold it, the H110 is much better. It's quieter and just works.

For the record I had to RMA my H100i twice. Once for pump noises (common) and once for the LED failing. Since putting in my H110, not one single issue.

I'm not sure if it is "much better," true it has a 280 rad instead of 240 and is quieter but has minimal temperature advantage

I went with the H80i for the smaller footprint and ability to software control it. No leaking after 3.5 months and it performs excellent. I have no complaints.

As for leaking. Look, even the best custom loops leak. The horror stories are abundant. Any time you are putting liquid inside of your computer case there is a risk. If you can't afford to pay for that risk, then you shouldn't play with water cooling.

You're paying good money for your computer. Sometimes in the thousands. Call your insurance agent and add your equipment to a policy.

yes its a risk you take with watercooling, had a few leaks when I had a custom watercooling setup.

not really into watercooling atm not, worth the hassle although I might risk a prebuilt closed system sometime in the future.

I was under the impression that the corsair units warranty covered any damage caused by the unit springing a leak?

I was under the impression that the corsair units warranty covered any damage caused by the unit springing a leak?

Afaik, that only flies in AUS now. Seems pretty clear-there's a postcard included with the hydro units that specifically states that type of coverage for Australian end-users. Why include that thing if the guarantee covers you regardless of where you are. Probably has something to do w where you bought it from too, IMO.

I've had three H50s running for 3+ years and one Asetek LC (which is basically an H50 from before Corsair licensed it) running for almost 7 years, and none have leaked or had any other problems at all. I'm sure 7 yrs is way past that Asetek's MTBF though.

I'd be a bit concerned about the age of that asetek unit. Most AIO coolers use a copper block with an aluminum radiator. Mixed metals in a loop leads to galvanic erosion. The metal literally gets eaten away from the inside of the loop outwards.

I am, but seeing as it's on a C2D relegated to Youtube viewer/email checker status, at this point it'll just give me a reason to build a new SFF machine which I've been itching to do for a while. I'm amazed the pump hasn't routed out it's bearings after 60K hours but it still runs quiet.

I'd be a bit concerned about the age of that asetek unit. Most AIO coolers use a copper block with an aluminum radiator. Mixed metals in a loop leads to galvanic erosion. The metal literally gets eaten away from the inside of the loop outwards.

The fluid they use in the coolers is somehow designed to prevent that reaction from happening.

I hope everyone means the h110 is 'quiet' in terms of the pump noise because it is. But the fans they ship with the h110 are the biggest cheap pieces of loud rattling shit I have ever used.

Back