• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Amplifier for AD700 suggestions

j3ff86

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,287
I just got the ATH-AD700 for use with an AV-710 sound card (envy24 chipset), and at maximum volume it's not quite as loud as I'd like it to be. What's a good amp nowadays for $100 or less? Also should I consider replacing my sound card?
 
Last edited:
I have no problem powering my A700s off onboard. They're plenty loud. That sound card can't possibly be worse (you're just using it for the optical out though, right?).

You could go with something cheap, like a Fiio E5 ($20 USD), or something more expensive and desktop worthy like the Zero DAC/Amp ($120 USD).
 
That sound card can't possibly be worse (you're just using it for the optical out though, right?).
No, bought it in 2005 and never felt the need to upgrade as I've just used logitech speakers. Guess it's time to upgrade :p
 
Consider either the zonar stx or the forte, they have headphone amps on-board. The Zero amp, even upgraded, doesn't compare to either of the above in sound quality.
 
I have no problem powering my A700s off onboard. They're plenty loud. That sound card can't possibly be worse (you're just using it for the optical out though, right?).

You could go with something cheap, like a Fiio E5 ($20 USD), or something more expensive and desktop worthy like the Zero DAC/Amp ($120 USD).

Actually the AV710 is a pretty good card, especially for the price. You have to use the output jack with the Wolfson DACs though.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend a Zero. Way too many QC issues and no real customer support.
 
Back
Top