" AMD's Finest", Tune in: Help

Catsonar

[H]ard|Gawd
"AMD's Finest, Tune in" help.
I finally recieved my RMAed AMD Athlon XP 2000+, great right, well no. Unfortunatly I chipped the unlocked 2000+ i had and sent that one in, right, well recieved the new one and this bitch doesn't OC one bit( fustrated). So i concluded with the processor being locked, ok let's unlock it, next thing you know I find out how. I get ready to unlock and the technique that I had learned to unlock this 2000+ seemed to not work, because this doesn't seem to be the same 2000+ as in the instructions( Instructions said that they were unlocking a 2000+ T-bred). Now I'm not sure what core this is and if this thing can be unlocked.

Here is the stepping from the Processor I recieved,

It reads,

AXDA2000DUT3C 2392573B40317
KIXJB0404MPMW 1999 AMD

that's the exact stepping from the 2000+.

Now the question that i have is, " What core is this?", "Can i Unlock it?", and "is this worth unlocking?"

I really could use the help, for I'm stuck with this 2000+ until i get enough money to get the 2600+ mobile. I want to get the most out of it, I need the speed to do my Audio stuff/ Recording for radio. Plz help a brother out. thx

PS: here is a link to a Pic of the Processor( it's not the greatest, and the Stepping can't be seen, that why I wrote it down)

www.yourimagehost.com/is.php?i=1005&fn=IM000372.jpg

I will throw this out there. It's not worth the oc right now. Toss it in, be glad they replaced it and just save your money to get the mobile athlon. Go with the 2400 (77 at the egg) as it oc's about the same as the 2500 or 2600. you will probably get 2.3-2.5 out of it depending on the the batch you get and the rest of your components.

I hope you listen to this. I made the mistake of trying to get a minor oc out of an athlon and ended up frying a perfectly good chip. Not worth it for a whopping 200 mghz over clock or there abouts. Just use the 2000 in your machine for now and wait till you can get the mobile processor. Your going to get like a 25% oc which is actually worth messing with. Just my two cents...

Do you by any chance happen to know the type of core this chip has? Just to know

To answer your questions: First off, if you o/ced you shouldn't have RMAed, but i would have done the same thing. I thought it needed to be said ;D

Next, it's a tbred-b. It's a very NEW tbred-b, thus why it is locked. It is superlocked, so no pinmod or bridging technique will work with it. You can "super unlock" it by turning it into a mobile (or at least tricking the motherboard into using the mobile's bridges) [very basic, but you can do your own research]. As far as it not overclocking at all, what are you trying, exactly? A multiplier bump? If you can't get anything out of FSB overclocking, it may not be the chip, unless the rest of the components are known to be good (which i'm assuming they are, consideirng it's just a new chip).
It's an 0404 chip, which means it's made it the 4th week of 04. I was unlucky enough to get 2x 0340 chips, (2400+'s) and i got 2x of the earlier locked t-breds. It's a pity. It's probably not worth unlocking though, considering you'll have to actually cut the substrate to get as high as you want with the multipliers.

Also.... cut down on the thermal paste a little, hot damn, that thing is COATED. All you need is a very thin (almost translucent) coat. Just a tip.

Diredesire, once again strikes back with his awsome help, thx man, that's pretty intresting about turning this thing into a mobile, now is that mod on the chip itself or on the Mobo?

oh and once again thx bro:)

its a fucking bitch to unlock and really, its not worth it. save for a mobile 2400+ (theyre only 78 last I checked) and just put up with what you have till then

i have the same chip and i clocked it to 1.9Ghz, im waiting on a new HSF though before going anymore

Well, IIRC it only unlocks 6x-11x. Although this is an unlock, most people are looking to get at the HIGHER multipliers (the ceiling on these chips is above 2xx X 11 so you'll have to cut the PCB of the chip.

Another thing to consider is that nforce2 boards are reportedly incompatible with this mod, but i haven't actually tried it yet, so i can't say for sure.

I'm going to get an Infinity then we'll see about unlocking that sucker :D

Originally posted by diredesire
Well, IIRC it only unlocks 6x-11x. Although this is an unlock, most people are looking to get at the HIGHER multipliers (the ceiling on these chips is above 2xx X 11 so you'll have to cut the PCB of the chip.

Another thing to consider is that nforce2 boards are reportedly incompatible with this mod, but i haven't actually tried it yet, so i can't say for sure.

I'm going to get an Infinity then we'll see about unlocking that sucker :D

lol nf2 are 100% compatable with this mod...1st, it just makes it appear as a mobile, no huge mod in that...and most nf2's can see mobiles, thats how ppl are now hitting 2.6ghz... 11X 200=2.2 ghz, that's a nice overclock, and most mobo's will go to arond 220 so 11 is plenty high of a multiplier..

Originally posted by boardsportsrule
lol nf2 are 100% compatable with this mod...1st, it just makes it appear as a mobile, no huge mod in that...and most nf2's can see mobiles, thats how ppl are now hitting 2.6ghz... 11X 200=2.2 ghz, that's a nice overclock, and most mobo's will go to arond 220 so 11 is plenty high of a multiplier..

respectfully disagree. 220x11 = 2420 mhz, which is not the ceiling for many of these chips. Many aqxea/aqzea/aqzfa chips are able to hit much above that. I have a good aqzfa that'll do 2.7 i imagine, but i can't hit anything above 230 fsb without my board crapping out on me. I'll get an infinity, but probably will end up unlocking the chip. And i agree the nf2's can detect a mobile chip fine, but do they support on-the-fly multiplier changes? Again, i haven't done the mod, so i wouldn't know if bios multiplier changes are allowed (above 11) so i think we can agree they're about .5 compatible ;D

I'm only going off what i read though, so you may be right (up to 11 mults)

This mod is getting really intresting, but do you think that it's not worth unlocking, if i did a mod on the current 2000+ i have, ( make a guesstiment) how high would the OCing be?

it's so hard to say with the new chips, it could be crapping out aounr 2.2 but like diredesire said, some hit 2.7... i have seen the new 2200's oc pretty good i would say 2.4 is likely... i woudl try the mod atleast...its beter to have a 11 multi then be stock at 13.5!! i got a q for ya tho... i see you are in orlando, is that any where near HOLIDAY? a troll on ebay screwed me and he lives in holiday, i am looking for some one in that area to go to his house and ask for the money, i have callled and emailed many times :S... lmk, and IMHO i think you should atleast TRY" the mod, it can be easily un done...and i think you can do the wire mod to go above 11X( assumind diredesire is correct about 6-11X multi's only)

it's so hard to say with the new chips, it could be crapping out aounr 2.2 but like diredesire said, some hit 2.7... i have seen the new 2200's oc pretty good i would say 2.4 is likely... i woudl try the mod atleast...its beter to have a 11 multi then be stock at 13.5!! i got a q for ya tho... i see you are in orlando, is that any where near HOLIDAY? a troll on ebay screwed me and he lives in holiday, i am looking for some one in that area to go to his house and ask for the money, i have callled and emailed many times :S... lmk, and IMHO i think you should atleast TRY" the mod, it can be easily un done...and i think you can do the wire mod to go above 11X( assumind diredesire is correct about 6-11X multi's only)

If you have a name, just contact the local Popos. They'll probably get your moolah back for you in a jiffy.

God i'm an idiot, i totally forgot he wasn't using a barton 2500+ (which is what i'm using)... The 6-11x mod might be more useful than i previously thought. I was thinking "what the hell is the point of a lower multiplier than you would currently max your chip out with?"

I'll do the mod on my chip in a bit, and we'll see if i can get above 11x on nf2 (if i can, HALLELUJAH w00w00)

I guess i have been needing to do the mod for a hell of a long time, anyways.

The links refering to the unlocking techniques are for what t-breds right, now the one they used was brown, mine is green. Is there a difference between them?

Originally posted by Catsonar
The links refering to the unlocking techniques are for what t-breds right, now the one they used was brown, mine is green. Is there a difference between them?

I'm not sure. I think it depends on when it was made. I've got some of the 'strange' colored CPUs. The Mobile Duron is ceramic, and it's a light purple. Then there's my Palomino, which is poop brown. :p My Barton is a light brown. The PIII 1 ghz is green. :p

the core/ pcb color makes no differnece, just that it is post week 39 (some earlier ones are also reported to be locked)...

Back