AMD Phenom II X4 940 + Asus M2N SLi Deluxe

I am trying to overclock my processor which is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 and this is the motherbaord I have Asus M2N SLi Deluxe, but I can not seem to get it stable can anyone help please. I have bios version 5001.

Looks like a beta bios.

Whats your current overclock?

Most AM2+ mobos seem to have around 140w cpu support although your M2N-SLI does not seem to post the wattage.

Also if you have a rev C2 (can check with CPU-Z) they are not very good overclockers and run a bit heavy on wattage draw.

I use a Asus M3A78-T (140w CPU sockect and 4-1 power phase) motherboard with a Rev. C2 940 and can't get a touch over 3.4 stable. Runs great though at 3.4 @ 1.475 though.

Just ordered a AMD 960T 95w for my setup and will see If I can either unlock the hexcore or get to 4ghz :)

ok what have you done so far? i'm using the same processor plus motherboard.. are you using the multiplier to overclock or are you using the FSB? also check and make sure your voltages are correct in GPU-z and using ASUS probe II(shitty ass program but its the only thing that even shows the correct voltages for my motherboard).

also if you happen to have the same issues i have with the assine amount of vdroop under full load you will have the set the voltages much higher. also make sure cool 'n quiet and qfan are turned off, this is an absolute must.

this is my current overclock.. 17x200 with the cpu voltage set at 1.485v(bios) giving me an idle voltage of 1.49v and a full load voltage of 1.41v. i've had 18x200 @ 1.55v(bios) 1.56v idle 1.48v full load stable on this system. i even got it up to 3.8Ghz but due to the high vdroop and the fact that i can't go higher then 1.55v in the bios i was not able to get it stable.

ignore my signature and the settings in it, i haven't updated it in a long time.

Well I have basically just stuck it in and it works I did the bios update to 5001. Well I have had it upto 3.8GHz and it then shuts down I have had it stable at 3.4 but with battlefield 3 it just laggs my game up and it gets stuck just wondered if anyone new the correct voltages for it and the multiplyer. *WITHOUT IDLE AT 60 DEGREES* if possible lol....current idle about 40 and my processor it at 3.0GHz stock

My experience with the 940 on the ASUS M4A79 Deluxe was that it did not like anything more than 3.4 or 3.5 regardless of how much voltage I threw at it. At 3.6 I could boot into Windows, game, and run programs, but it would crash within a few minutes of launching Prime95. This was all done with multiplier overclocking on a C2 revision chip. For whatever reason the motherboard did not like anything more than 206 on the clock side.

I had a similar experience with a 955 on the M4A79T Deluxe. 3.7 was the max that I was able to get there, but others saw 3.8 to 4.0.

When it comes to overclocking there are no guarantees with any particular chip.

My experience with the 940 on the ASUS M4A79 Deluxe was that it did not like anything more than 3.4 or 3.5 regardless of how much voltage I threw at it. At 3.6 I could boot into Windows, game, and run programs, but it would crash within a few minutes of launching Prime95. This was all done with multiplier overclocking on a C2 revision chip. For whatever reason the motherboard did not like anything more than 206 on the clock side.

I had a similar experience with a 955 on the M4A79T Deluxe. 3.7 was the max that I was able to get there, but others saw 3.8 to 4.0.

When it comes to overclocking there are no guarantees with any particular chip.

i had 3.7Ghz running no problem on my 780G board with my 940 but i dropped it down to 3.6Ghz due to the vrm's on that board not being designed to run the 940 let alone overclocked. if it didn't require me to run 1.5v to hit 3.7Ghz i probably would of kept it but 3.6Ghz i was stable at 1.425v.

that being said the m2n-sli deluxe boards do not like overclocking the 940's or at least my board doesn't but thats because the VRM's on mine are a complete effing joke with the .12v of vdroop at full load when you go over 1.5v. but as long as the processor didn't exceed 25% load i was able to do 3.8Ghz @ 1.56v but then the voltage would drop to 1.45v and the system would shut off if any start up program caused the load to exceed 25%.

Well I have basically just stuck it in and it works I did the bios update to 5001. Well I have had it upto 3.8GHz and it then shuts down I have had it stable at 3.4 but with battlefield 3 it just laggs my game up and it gets stuck just wondered if anyone new the correct voltages for it and the multiplyer. *WITHOUT IDLE AT 60 DEGREES* if possible lol....current idle about 40 and my processor it at 3.0GHz stock

3.4-3.5Ghz is about where you will get stuck with in the 940 with this motherboard. as far as BF3 goes the problem is the DDR2 ram and the 2Ghz hypertransport clock.. yes the HT makes that much of a difference when its as low as this. as far as temps go the 940's run hot as hell mine idles around 40C full load can be anywhere from 55-67C(depending on how lazy i am when it comes to cleaning my thermtake bigtyphoon VX heatsink).

edit... forgot to mention the reason for the really high temps with the 940 on the am2 boards is due to the fact that they do not support a split voltage so your CPU-NB and CPU voltage match which means if you are running 1.5v on the CPU you are running 1.5v on the CPU-NB which creates a ton of excess heat. both will run up to 1.55v though so don't freak out because of it.

(btw the overclock in my signature is the actual voltage, not the voltage set in the bios since its set at 1.535v. i know my board is starting to die since i've been having to slowly increase the voltage since my last post in this thread in janruary)

Last edited:
The HT isn't the issue, I think. Perhaps you mean the CPU-NB and the board NB disparity? The CPU-NB on C2s isn't good w/overclocking. C2s in general don't seem real good at OC, overall.

The HT isn't the issue, I think. Perhaps you mean the CPU-NB and the board NB disparity? The CPU-NB on C2s isn't good w/overclocking. C2s in general don't seem real good at OC, overall.

no.. the CPU-NB has nothing to do with any of it. the hypertransport has to do with the data going between chipset. hell even on an am2 board the CPU-NB still runs at its correct 1.6Ghz unlike the AM3 chips where its tied into the hypertransport clock so that they have to match. but either way the 940 is a black edition processor so theres no need to mess with the CPU-NB at all.

either way the C2's weren't bad, most topped out at 3.8Ghz while most C3's topped out at 4Ghz and the rare few phenom II C3's that exceeded 4Ghz. a lot of the really late produced C3 Athlon II's are able to exceed 4Ghz pretty nicely though.

On that last note, I am certainly hoping for a true quad at ~4Ghz, and 65W power draw. I'd be happy to build a HTPC out of that.

I keep reverting to thinking of Hyper Transport as a NB-SB link on the chipset. It only takes a moment to realize that it's everything -but- the memory interconnect.

I have not been able to get the Asus m2n32-SLI deluxe boards I have to go above 2Ghz without serious issues, and oddly 1.6 to 1.8 is the stable range for Phen IIs...

Back