AMD build comments with MicroATX board.

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
So I'm siting here looking at trying to build a new machine (cpu,mobo,ram) to replace this aging system which is slowly becoming an issue with newer games requiring CPU specific extensions my old xeon doesn't have.

Was trying to figure out what to build and came up with using a MicroATX board because well, they are half the price of an ATX board. Problem I see is I would like to at least overclock t he CPU to at least what my xeon is doing because otherwise it would bother me. Xeon is at 4.15ghz

I was looking at:
Ryzen 2700x
16gb ddr4 2666
Asrock AB350M Pro4

This all comes out to less than 500 bucks.

I read a few places this is like the only matx motherboard than can really overclock but trying to get more comments on this idea. I plan to watercool CPU and Video card since I already have it just need new water blocks.

Your options are indeed limited for mATX Ryzen boards. I'd imagine you should be fine OCing as long as you make sure you have airflow over the VRMs. Direct airflow would be best.

Ram can be picky. If you are trying to save a buck, you can always try and OC that 2666 kit to 3200. Lots of deals for DDR4 on Newegg. I believe I've seen some $75 16gb kits floating around so I would keep your eye out.

Thing is I don't need a mATX board but the cost saving is pretty good over it vs a full board.

What is not worth on a PB2?? what is a PB2?

Totally up to you. Whatever meets your price and needs. A 450/470 chipset will work and give you the most features (ports, expension, etc.)

I just built a htpc/raid box with a 2400g and msi b450i gaming mobo in a cooler master elite 110 case.

Motherboard supported my 1.2v furyx 32GB 3200mhz ram without more than a couple clicks in the bios to reach the stated speed and voltage. It comes with intel wifi and realtek ethernet (wish it was intel ethernet but realtek gigabit is not as unreliable as their wifi chipsets).

Paired this with a seasonic focus sgx-450, nvme, 6 ssd's and sas pcie3.0 x8 card in the one pcie slot available. Then to cool it a thermaltake 3.0 aio 120mm water cooler with a single 120mm fan. Full load puts the wattage just below 100watts at the wall after undervolting the cpu by .1v. Performance boost will push to 3.9Ghz but TDP will limit you until you enable actual overclocking features (which the board has plenty of )

Temperatures never rise above 60C when compiling on all cores with room temperatures being 75-80F. So plenty of room for overclocking if your silicone can support it. I dont recall the idle wattage off hand but my 1500va 900 watt ups says over 2 hours of battery time while the system is idle. It dropped to roughly half that when i was under full load.

The case has mounting points for like 4 out of the 6 ssd's out of the box. You'll need to add your own little cage (printed or repurposed) to securely mount others unless you just like going the velcro route. I'm only using every other sata port to spread the bandwidth on all available pcie channels evenly. 12 disks seem a bit overkill even for me :)

noise level is silent until the cpu temp hits 50c, which i've setup in the bios to kick the fan up (there's only 1 other than the PSU in the case). That could probably be limited a bit if you cut out the metal grid on the case the fan mounts to.

I'm still burning the system in (built it over the weekend) but so far I'm quite pleased. I usually only buy asus motherboards but this MSI board has been pretty solid. I would recommend it for those looking to build an itx am4 system. Overclocking or otherwise.

Last edited:
Back