AM3 and AM2 HSF

Simmonz

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,504
Will a HSF made in the AM2 era before AM3 came out fit on an AM3 socket ? I was trying to put my old Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro on my X2 260 last night until I find the clip for my Contac 29 but I couldn't get the Freezer 64 Pro on. It felt like the hole in the clip was smaller than the bump it had to go on the AM3 socket. Am I right ?
 
S939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, and FM1 all use near the exact same mounting system. I've used several older heatsinks from 939 and AM2 era that worked on AM3 without issue, but I do not have personal experience with the cooler you're using.

It's possible that there are some slight dimension differences on the tab(less than a mm) and Arctic Cooling made the clip exactly to specification instead of making it slightly larger to make installation easier.
 
Back
Top