AllofMP3 Responds To RIAA

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Russian music downloading service AllofMP3 has responded to the $1.65 trillion dollar RIAA lawsuit. As you might expect, AllofMP3 has responded like it has every other time by continuing with business as usual and stating it is operating in compliance with Russian law.

"AllofMP3 understands that several U.S. record label companies filed a lawsuit against Media Services in New York," an unnamed "senior company official" stated. "This suit is unjustified as AllofMP3 does not operate in New York. Certainly the labels are free to file any suit they wish, despite knowing full well that AllofMP3 operates legally in Russia. In the mean time, AllofMP3 plans to continue to operate legally and comply with all Russian laws."

Steve said:
The Russian music downloading service AllofMP3 has responded to the $1.65 trillion dollar RIAA lawsuit. As you might expect, AllofMP3 has responded like it has every other time by continuing with business as usual and stating it is operating in compliance with Russian law.

If it's true that they ARE in compliance with russian law, then good for them! Stick it to the record companies. :)

They ARE in compliance with Rusian law. The only problem I see for them is that AllofMP3 is saying the RIAA needs to go after the Russian government, which wasn't too smart. Now the Russian govenrment has every reason to turn its back on them and comply with / help the RIAA.

The funny part is, this story has been done to death, no one was even interested in AllofMP3's problems with the RIAA any more (no sympathy) until this $1.65 trillion lawsuit.

Are US users in compliance with US law when using the site?

probably not

not allofmp3s problem though - they are laughing at the RIAA from behind the kermlin

It's too bad. I've used them and they have the best music store hands down. Even if they charged the typical 99 cents a song, they'd still be the best music store around. Not having DRM, having a selection that beats everything else out there, plus the ability to download at whatever bit rate and format you want. An absolute music enthusiasts dream. No wonder the RIAA doesn't like them... :rolleyes:

What the RIAA ejem...customers should do is change completely their business model. Suing is just patching a situation they created themselves by becoming overambitious overtime. Multimillion dolar market gone down the toilet, It's though to keep it being so when is not indispensable for living. I mean, if you can get it cheaper your going to, no questioning, and feelings aside, when a "star" makes more money than a physician who saves peoples lives, you know there is something artificial in there. These problems doesn't do anything but show exactly that.

Heck 1 1/2 century ago musicianship was yet another profession, and I ain't talking about Maestros, or Composers here. Now we have American Idol.
Certainly there's value in becoming a star, but that fact of who has given that value to it, and of course, the final product that comes out of it is where the falsity lie, if it had implicit value, like your life , or your health, for example, then piracy wouldn't happen as it does.

Wasnt all of mp3 about providing a service for you and not just a place to download music from? I thought their whole deal was that you were paying for them to make you mp3s of music you already own. Hence the different bitrates and whatnot available. Screw the RIAA! Too bad hardly anyone out there is big enuf to bully them right back.

Why can't spammers and hackers just concentrate on the demons that RIAA/MPAA are. They need to be put out of existence ASAP.

Bedlam said:
Wasnt all of mp3 about providing a service for you and not just a place to download music from? I thought their whole deal was that you were paying for them to make you mp3s of music you already own. Hence the different bitrates and whatnot available. Screw the RIAA! Too bad hardly anyone out there is big enuf to bully them right back.

No, at least not that I'm aware of. It was like any other music download service, except for what I mentioned above and the fact that most songs were 8 cents or so. Albums were like $1.64 each or something nice like that. I spent $10 there and got a few albums and several singles and it was one of the easiest, best music purchasing experiences around. If the RIAA would concentrate on fixing the REAL problems instead of suing or screwing their customers, maybe they could salvage things. I won't hold my breath though... ;)

So I wonder when the RIAA is going to go after thier US subscribers and start sueing them?

mikeblas said:
Are US users in compliance with US law when using the site?

Nobody knows. Rest assured, future lawsuits will tell the tale. Care to be a named defendant in any of them? Me neither, too.

swetmore said:
So I wonder when the RIAA is going to go after thier US subscribers and start sueing them?

So are we only protected by us law if we purchase and download with DRM, says iTunes?

I found this from the FAQ at allofmp3.com
http://music.allofmp3.com/help/help.shtml?prm=terms&rnd=459109#top

The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.

Russia is changing it's laws to fit better with the WTO, and these new laws will make Allofmp3.com's system illegal. If they are as honest as they claim, they will just adapt their system again to comply with Russian law.

Honestly, the RIAA is just goofy at times.

Yes, but then again the amount they are seeking in damages is astronomical. When last I checked, Microsoft had a net worth of under $1T, and they were one of, if not THE, largest companies in the world. Suing a relatively small player for such a large sum suggests an alterior motive- I think the RIAA is trying to not close AllofMp3, but rather acquire it.

Net worth? Do you mean market cap? MSFT's market cap is less than $300 billion.

The RIAA cant fix things, they are a bunch of people who just make money off the politics of technology. I remember reading something about how they bitched and moaned about VHS putting studios out of business, yet, after it became widespread they ended up making millions of it and the cycle continues with new technology. They really bring nothing to the consumer world except more aggravation for the little guy.

I meant total money available to them, if they liquidated all of their assets and pooled their revenues, and basically took every cent that passed into their hands- and I'm even being generous and letting them forget about their expenditures, and running on pure profit. :) Yes, this is for the sake of argument.
And apparently Exxon Mobil is #1, with $340B in revenues and $208B in assets.

BTW, mikeblas, I was rereading a thread from last year regarding the benefits of dual-core versus dual-socket. It suddenly seemed relevant again what with 4x4 and Barcelona. I never thanked you for your explanation; it was a little over my head, and still is, but you still put the time into writing it. Please don't think that that went unappreciated. :)

mavalpha said:
Exxon Mobil is #1, with $340B in revenues and $208B in assets.

And Exxon makes only 7 cents on every dollar of product sold. Thats what you can do when
A) You have 100% guarantee sell trough and
B) EVERYONE wants your product.

(back on topic)
I also think the RIAA are totally nuts on this allofmp3.com thing tho. Asking for a trillion dollars from a company not in the US is stupid. The RIAA should get with US based MP3 sales companies and at least get simi competitive. No need to match their $2 albums but atleast make it kinda close..

mavalpha said:
I meant total money available to them, if they liquidated all of their assets and pooled their revenues, and basically took every cent that passed into their hands- and I'm even being generous and letting them forget about their expenditures, and running on pure profit. :) Yes, this is for the sake of argument.
I'm not sure how good of an argument you have, as what you're saying makes no sense. A companies assets includes the things they need to do business. For a company like Exxon/Mobil, that means oil rigs, pumping facilities, refineries, ships, derricks, and so on. Those things are very expensive to build. Even assuming someone was around to buy them, once sold, they'd have no more income.

Revenue is something tha happens over time; do you mena the revenues from a day? A week? A month? A year? The diminishing revenuse from the time you announced this shutdown until all the money-making equipment was sold? Or something else?

Is your point just that the $1.3-whatever-trillion number is astronomically large? Then, yeah, sure, I'd agree with that. OTOH, I haven't heard any reasoning behind any estimate that the RIAA (and all its properties) might have for what AllOfMP3 has stolen from them. Nor do I know over what period of time the RIAA alleges it to have been stolen.

mavalpha said:
BTW, mikeblas, I was rereading a thread from last year regarding the benefits of dual-core versus dual-socket. It suddenly seemed relevant again what with 4x4 and Barcelona. I never thanked you for your explanation; it was a little over my head, and still is, but you still put the time into writing it. Please don't think that that went unappreciated. :)

Well, gosh! Thank you for your very kind words. I enjoy writing, and I enjoy technology, so I'm very glad when I hear someone say they learned something from what I've written. If there's some part of that thread that you didn't understand, please send me a PM with your questions (or ressurect the thread, even) and I'll see if I can help out.

That said, the landscape for multi-socket and multi-core machines has changed since, and maybe I need to update or retract what I thought to be true at the time.

allofmp3 is pretty much invincible

they wouldn't pay shit if they lost the lawsuit either. who has a trillion?

if anyone is stealing, it's the riaa and britney spears. They conned everyone out of millions of dollars selling junk music.

britney spears is an ugly washed up redneck slut

and fuck the RIAA. what i don't get is how they still have shareholders when their entire business model is whining and trying to maintain a dying business model. kind of like SCO the music industry is just going down the shitter.

instead of trying to adapt and change their practices to embrace the information age thos retards are just going down with the ship and pissing the world off as they go.

1.65 trillion my ass.

Well one thing is for sure... I bet that allofmp3 is loving all of the extra advertising the riaa is giving them and the extra revenue. :p

Once again I think the riaa screwed itself.

Every american pirate that didn't know about riaa is checking it out now as we speak.

I bet you could get one of those prepaid visa's from the mall and buy with at least some margin of safety...

OvrrDrive said:
Well one thing is for sure... I bet that allofmp3 is loving all of the extra advertising the riaa is giving them and the extra revenue. :p

Once again I think the riaa screwed itself.

Every american pirate that didn't know about riaa is checking it out now as we speak.

I bet you could get one of those prepaid visa's from the mall and buy with at least some margin of safety...

I think those prepaid cards still need to be verified by Visa when used, so that probably won't work. I'm not sure how anyone flooding to the site from all this extra advertising is actually going to pay for their purchases. I'd just love to see one of these lawsuits the RIAA has filed going against them big enough to ripple effect them to death. I don't want to take the chance pirating music, there's no good way to get inexpensive music I want to listen to at a high bitrate and without DRM, so I've actually just started not listening to music at all most of the time. I still have a bunch of stuff burnt to CD I listen to in the car, or I listen to satellite radio. On the computer I listen to Pandora or one of the thousands of free net radio stations. Screw the RIAA, they're not going to see another penny from me until they stop screwing consumers.

I worked in the biz for a decade and learned a great deal. I did a gig with Don Henley of the Eagles a few years ago. He was very implicit when he said "Download everything you can, all you want. We don't see that money and people will still come to our shows." This guy is in one the greatest rock bands of all time and they got ripped as well.

There is no moral stance for the RIAA and their "We protect the work" ethic. The artists hate it. The Rolling Stones don't rely on album sales. They rely on ticket sales. And they do very, VERY well. The RIAA just screws the artists and their audience.

The Grateful Dead gave away their music for their entire career and remain the top grossing tour band in history. Download all you want and don't think you're starving anybody with a guitar.

Aren't we seeing the possiblity of the same type of thing here that is happening with the Spamhaus (I think it's still going on) legislation? I'm really curious to see what'll happen if RIAA sues and AllofMP3 doesn't show up and RIAA wins by default. AllofMP3 says "we're under Russian law, you can't touch us, and we'll keep our money, thanks" and an American judge orders ICANN to remove them from their domain removed from the net.

Really, following the precedent from the Spamhaus case, this is a great way for RIAA to shutdown overseas activity. Relatively low cost for them, not a lot of bad press. Am I missing something?

it is not suprising. when your products suck...sue your way back to success. the new American business mantra.

the music industry lobbies congress aggessively. when audio CD's were the next tech (cassettes too-yeah i'm old) evolution, I remember the recording lobbyist asking for Audio CD's to be "notched", where a region of frequencies of the recording would not be transferable, and other rediculous idea's. but the betamax precedent held back then.

the DMCA has changed just about everything now though. the thing that really pisses me off is that the RIAA claims to be looking out for artists, but that propaganda is such crap. they are looking out for themselves. if they really cared about recording artists, the artist would have more control of their recordings/copy rights and recieve more from royalties. the devil is in the details...

as in politics, the recording industry has way too many hands in each artists proverbial"pie", and they will sue to keep it that way.

I am sure the "right" people are paid in Russia to acheive favorable results...just like here in the US and the money will influence the law.

Back