All this talk about lapping...

I have some diamond lapping compound for nuclear valves. It's pure silicone with fine suspended diamond particles.

It doesn't fill the cracks and voids in the heatsink/cpu surfaces like a soft metal or oxide does, since the diamond doesn't compress/mold into shape. Could be that the diamonds in my compound aren't fine enough, so I'll hold judgement. BUT: I do get better cooling out of normal heatsink compound or AS than the diamond compound.
 
BBA said:
I have some diamond lapping compound for nuclear valves. It's pure silicone with fine suspended diamond particles.

It doesn't fill the cracks and voids in the heatsink/cpu surfaces like a soft metal or oxide does, since the diamond doesn't compress/mold into shape. Could be that the diamonds in my compound aren't fine enough, so I'll hold judgement. BUT: I do get better cooling out of normal heatsink compound or AS than the diamond compound.

O.O what do u do?
 
BBA said:
I have some diamond lapping compound for nuclear valves. It's pure silicone with fine suspended diamond particles.

It doesn't fill the cracks and voids in the heatsink/cpu surfaces like a soft metal or oxide does, since the diamond doesn't compress/mold into shape. Could be that the diamonds in my compound aren't fine enough, so I'll hold judgement. BUT: I do get better cooling out of normal heatsink compound or AS than the diamond compound.

Excellent. Well, I would imagine that one would have to find the best way to compress and somehow "shrink" the diamond polymer before suspending it or using it in a compound made specifically for HSF apps and heat transfer.

I remember reading reports about the theories on the diamond particles back at the DOE. You wouldn't happen to be working on those nuc valves at DOE? Just a shot.

B33
 
brachy33 said:
Excellent. Well, I would imagine that one would have to find the best way to compress and somehow "shrink" the diamond polymer before suspending it or using it in a compound made specifically for HSF apps and heat transfer.

I remember reading reports about the theories on the diamond particles back at the DOE. You wouldn't happen to be working on those nuc valves at DOE? Just a shot.

B33


LOL...I worked on nuc valves on submarine and aircradft carrier reactors, the DOE are panzies...it's NR and NRC we had to deal with.
 
Back
Top