• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ALchemy alternative for non-Creative cards?

Rehevkor

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
1,155
Is there some way I can get 5.1 sound from older Directsound3D games in Windows 7 with my HT Omega Striker 7.1 card?

I know Creative cards have the ALchemy software to do this, but I was wondering if there was some hack/trick/workaround that I could use to force OpenAL in games using this card. For reference, some of the games I'm trying to get 5.1 working in are Neverwinter Nights 2, UT2004, and UT3.
 
From what I've heard, only the ASUS card with the CMI chipset has software/drivers that can emulate DirectSound3D in Vista/7.
 
your card will support OpenAL, but not EAX/DS3D emulation, which is what ALchemy is designed to interpret (namely EAX and the more complex DS3D calls), Asus has an emulator for its Xonar boards, which affords a comparable level of features to ALchemy/X-fi

in other words, if your game doesn't support OpenAL or similar, you're stuck with some form of heavy software emulation, or simply disabling the features, its basically a driver issue (the HT Omega card being designed as a "multimedia" board, not a "gaming" board)

although, 5.1 audio should not be an issue either way, as long as the card is configured for 5.1 output, connected properly, windows is set properly, and the game is switched into 5.1/surround sound, ALchemy nor the Asus emulator actually deal with multi-ch output, purely DS3D/EAX calls being transcoded to OpenAL for h/w acceleration (in a nut shell)
 
Back
Top