AIRFLOWCASES VERTICAL - World's first multi-touch case - High end cooling in a small tower [PROJECT]

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by Philairflow, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Philairflow

Philairflow n00bie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Introduction: Project Vertical – A Revolutionary Desktop

[​IMG]

Airflowcases Vertical is a two-man spare-time project. Our goal was to design a small case with a big IPS multi-touch display and high performance in both air- and water-cooling.

The main idea behind Project Vertical was to produce a pc case that offers you some extra benefit while standing on your desk. While most other cases just stand on the desk for their visual appearance Project Vertical can be an active assistance by expanding the display area with the 15.6 inch IPS touch screen.

I give an overview of the project and maybe you like to share your ideas regarding design, criticism or give us feedback. Nothing is final here.

Build-up and specifications

[​IMG]

Innovative internal design

Vertical is a compact mATX case with a small footprint. Mainboard and graphics card are built-in vertical up. This setup reduces the strain onto the mainboard generated by big video cards, and enables the reduction of the space required on the desk. High-end air and water-cooled compositions can be implemented without compromises. The case features a mounting bracket for water-pumps in front of the power supply. It also can carry a SSD or HDD on the bracket underneath the pump. When air-cooling is used this mounting bracket can be used to carry HDD’s and SSD’s on both sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Open build up under top cover

Located under the top cover is not the typical closed backplate with an i/o shield. There is just a crossbar for mounting the graphics card(s) and providing additional stiffness to the case.

This design provides two strengths: It increases the cooling performance of the case and allows us to integrate tempered glass-corners that provides vision onto the hardware, while leaving the space on the side-panels for the cooling concept.

[​IMG]

Fully modular build-up

Project Vertical can be completely disassembled by loosen a few screws. This system provides a lot of freedom while building the pc and offers easy servicing. This design also enables easy manufacturing.

Specifications:

Dimensions (HxWxD): 390 X 275 X 220 mm

Volume: 23.6 liter

Material: 3 mm Aluminium

Display: 15.6 inch IPS Display with full hd resolution

Color: To be decided

Mainboard: mATX

Graphics card: 4-Slot and 340 mm length

Power supply: SFX-L

Hard drives: 6 x 2.5 inch and 2 x 3.5 inch in maximum configuration

Front panel: 2 x USB 3.1, audio-in/out

Optical drive: Slim size slot-in

Cooling air:

- CPU Coolers: Up to dual-tower coolers with 170 mm height​

- Case fans: 5 x 140 mm fans​

Cooling water:

- 2 x 240 mm radiators on the side panels​

- 1 x 140 mm radiator on the top panel​

- Damped mounting-frame for custom water pumps

Touch-display

[​IMG]

The first multi-touch desktop case in the world

Besides the cooling concept the 15.6 inch multi-touch IPS display is the main unique feature of the case. It enables Project Vertical to offer some extra benefit while standing on the desk. The idea is to combine a desktop case with the monitor to an expanded display area. It will give assistance and provide an additional way of handling tasks via touch devices. All prospects of modern operating systems like windows 10 can be utilized. The PC also can be used standalone, for example in combination with hifi-components.

The graphics card will be connected to a little converter board with HDMI and Displayport interface. The video cable will not be routed completely internal thanks to the cases build-up with the top cover.

Display specifications:

size: 15.6 inch

panel type: IPS

resolution: 1920 x 1080

Input: Displayport and HDMI

Cooling

Cooling and particularly airflow was a very important point in the design of project vertical. The goal was to have a cooling design that can offer a high performance in both air- and liquid-cooling while emitting as less noise as possible and requiring only little space on the desk.

Air cooling

[​IMG]

Vertical is aimed to be the smallest case in the world to carry 5 x 140 mm fans. A consistent airflow is applied, that also focuses the graphics card. A point that many standard cases are missing. The capability of a high and consistent airflow allows to use fans with low rotation speed and therefore reduces the noise of the pc. Vertical can carry dual-tower coolers with 140 mm fans and up to 170 mm height. For example the Noctua NH-D15, be quiet dark rock, EKL Olymp and similar.

Air cooling specifications:

Fans: 5 x 140 mm

CPU cooler: Up to 170 mm dual-tower

Water cooling

The case is able to carry 2 x 240 mm radiators on the side panels. 280 mm radiators are maybe possible. We still work on that. A custom loop can be installed out of the box. The mounting bracket for the pump can still carry a SSD or HDD under the pump when water cooling.

[​IMG]

Water cooling specifications:

Radiators: 240 x 30 mm radiator with 25 mm fans on the left and right side

Pump: Mounting for hole pattern of a lot of standard pumps

Mistermill and Boil like this.
  2. Boil

Boil Gawd

Gotta get that volume down to 20 liters or less for true SFF...!

I would love to see a version of this that was mITX / SFX...

I really like the touch panel; I could see using it for touch screen control of overclocking software & fan control and such, or set up to monitor security cameras, or just to watch and get in that last minute Ebay bid...

Maybe flip the PSU so the cable connections are facing the back of the chassis & have some cable management area behind the motherboard tray...?

3. Frazhna

Frazhna [H]Lite

I like the vertical orientation. I wish more cases did that. I like that you can put full size tower coolers and over-sized graphics cards in it. I don't really like the idea of buying a monitor as part of a case. It would be good to have some kind of cable management so that when you plug in a bunch of stuff to the rear I/O it doesn't look like a sea anemone with all the cables sticking out at the top.

Those are my opinions. Good job with this case. (y)

4. jamesman32

jamesman32 Limp Gawd

It looks like the 15.6" touchscreen will be mounted straight up and down (perpendicular to the ground) and will cover the entire height of the case. Considering that you intend for the case to sit on a user's desk, how do you intend to deal with the likely scenario that the centerpoint of the screen is not level with the user's eyes? To me, this is the equivalent of trying to sit at a desk and use a monitor that's bottom bezel is mounted directly to the tabletop. The simple solution would be to tilt the monitor backward on an angle (like a laptop display on a hinge) but that's not possible here with the display face-mounted directly to the case, right?

5. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Ah, another person coming to our community to advertise their project. Where have they been in our community for years? Seeing a whole lot of this now in SFF specifically.

6. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think that putting the touch screen on the case is really that great idea/selling point. This will increase price significantly while it's not something that will sell the case.

I know however that few people did ask about possibility of putting one in Sentry so there may be some niche for this.

I'd rather leave simple window made from tempered glass or acrylic one to show-off how the internals are laid off like in the last render with watercooling. This would be appealing to more users especially with some RGB.

Apart from that, it looks really rough because of the screws and screw holes everywhere.

7. Monkey God

Monkey God [H]ardness Supreme

Cool overall design, the whole vertical concept is neat. Don't care for the touch screen either, its a gimmick. You play with it for a little while during setup/config and then pretty much have no use for it. I guess *some* people would use it as their only screen for stuff, but that's what tablets are for.

8. Philairflow

Philairflow n00bie

I tried to make it ITX size but then I need to restrict the cooling. Either the fans on the left side have to be removed or a full size CPU Cooler doesn't fit anymore. Cooling is a very important point for me, so I found it hard to go ITX with that build-up. I think compromises have to be made to reach 20L.

9. Philairflow

Philairflow n00bie

Thanks for all the feedback!

So about the Touchscreen: It is fixed in it's position, so it is true that this is not ideal.

I also had the idea to have the screen in an tablet like case which can be tilted in two axes. Then behind the display could be a glas window that allows to look insight.

In my opinion this would be super cool but also super expensive. Regardless I am already making a 3D model for that :)

10. duke00

duke00 n00bie

i rly like that conzept which display you wanna use ? What i dont like is that all the cables come out of the top of your case if you want stay it on desk i think it look better if the cable come out at bottom.

11. whatevs

whatevs [H]Lite

It's extremely common to have VRMs along backplate. The current configuration is better for thermal management.

The sealed bottom and mostly sealed top seem like it limits potential compared to whats seen in Corsair ONE. And personal experience with mini-ITX builds, 5x140mm fans is just not necessary if you design case for good thermals.

Nice idea!

12. wahaha360

wahaha360 Gawd

Have your sourced the side panel display yet?

I'm also looking into turning my side panel into a display (not as a screen, but for displaying analytics).

13. rsquared

rsquared Limp Gawd

14. mejobloggs_

mejobloggs_ n00bie

I actually think it's a really unique and cool idea including the screen on the front of the case....

Might even try re-purposing one of my old screens to incorporate into my case

15. Sancus

Sancus Limp Gawd

Looks like a cool design but I don't get why there are windows at the top that... let you see into the cable compartment? I feel like this should be enclosed just like the Silverstone FT-03 with only a slot in the back for the cables to come out, no windows.

I'm also not sure if those are screws on top or what, but having to remove 4 or 8(?!) screws just to plug in a cable really sucks, that panel should snap on or at the very worst involve no more than a couple of thumbscrews. Again, look at Silverstone, they are famous for cases with this orientation and they do the top panels perfectly on all their vertically oriented cases.

16. Philairflow

Philairflow n00bie

All mounting holes for fans will disappear. Only 4 thumb screws on top will remain outside. I like the screws on top.

For the panel: I would use a build in ready solution fabricated for a notebook. This would be the cheapest option because they are already bonded and have a glas applied. Like this one:

[​IMG]

In addition only a controller like this one is needed inside the case:

[​IMG]

I am working on an ITX version now. I am especially motivated after seeing the Asrock X299 ITX.

After some brainstorming I think I can bring the dimensions down to (HxWxD): 380 X 235 X 210 mm = 18,75 liters.

The only compromises that will have to be made are:

- 14 inch IPS screen
    - Radiator on left side will be hard to fit in. Maybe with slim fans and one slot water cooler on gpu. I don't know now.
    - Dual-Tower cpu cooler with 140 mm fans only with slim fans on the right side.

I think that are some ok restrictions for reducing the size by 5 liters.

17. Boil

Boil Gawd

For me, ITX is the preferred mobo format for SFF...!

18. Mistermill

Mistermill n00bie

I also would like to see this smaller. I really like the concept. But ITX would be nice.

Sounds nice. As already mentioned smaller would be nice. Any updates here?