AIM packet sniffing?

IWKUA

Weaksauce
I know that if someone is on your network they could potentially look at the packets and read your conversation. I was just wondering if this could be done over the internet, could someone intercept aim conversations or video chats? Thanks.

I can't remember for sure but I think you may be able to do this with ARP poisoning. But Most firewalls will immediately detect this, and most ISP won't allow such traffic to go through.

AIM conversations are not normally encrypted, and are visible across the network if you're on a hub. The packets can also be read from the router itself, or other access points. But people on the same switch or router cannot easily read the conversations from my knowledge atleast.

I know that if someone is on your network they could potentially look at the packets and read your conversation. I was just wondering if this could be done over the internet, could someone intercept aim conversations or video chats? Thanks.

Everyone between you and your friend can read your packets, so from your comp to the router, to your isp, to the major backbones, to his isp, to his computer. Biggest threat is people networked together by hubs at the endpoints like if you were at a computer lab connected by hubs. (Well that or people looking over your shoulder)

AIM conversations are not normally encrypted, and are visible across the network if you're on a hub. The packets can also be read from the router itself, or other access points. But people on the same switch or router cannot easily read the conversations from my knowledge atleast.

People on the same switch can read others packets, not quite as easily as on a hub but it's about 10 minutes worth of searching on google to find the program that will allow you to do it.

People on the same switch can read others packets, not quite as easily as on a hub but it's about 10 minutes worth of searching on google to find the program that will allow you to do it.

I think you have that backwards. Hubs broadcast all traffic to all ports Switches use MAC addresses to direct traffic to it's correct destination on that switch.

As mentioned before arp poisoning, or flooding for that matter will trick a switch into sending data to either the wrong place or everyone.

I think you have that backwards. Hubs broadcast all traffic to all ports Switches use MAC addresses to direct traffic to it's correct destination on that switch.

As mentioned before arp poisoning, or flooding for that matter will trick a switch into sending data to either the wrong place or everyone.

No, he has that right, its easier to intercept packets on a network with a hub than one with a switch.

I think ARP poisoning affects the target PC, not the switch.

No, he has that right, its easier to intercept packets on a network with a hub than one with a switch.

I was reading it backwards.

Like this

"People on the same switch can read others packets."

"Not quite as easy as on a hub but it's about 10 minutes worth of searching on google to find the program that will allow you to do "

I was reading easily as easy. My Mistake and we are all correct.

Back