• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

AHCI & RAID

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Messages
12,831
My motherboard, like most, has 3 options to configure the storage controller. IDE, AHCI, and RAID. I have mine set to RAID because I'm using two 1TB WD Black drives in Raid-0 cached by a 64GB SSD.

I've always been under the impression that when set to RAID, any drives that are attached to the controller by themselves (not part of any RAID config) will still be using AHCI at least. But recently I've gotten some conflicting info about this. Also, when I open up Samsung Magician to view info about my 256GB Samsung 840 Pro it shows AHCI as "Deactivated". Why would it say AHCI was deactivated?
 
I'm not really sure if it matters what the Samsung Magician says. I think it used to be the case that TRIM was dependent on AHCI mode, but the Intel 6 series forward supports TRIM on RAID. Having a drive on the RAIDed port as a single drive should afford that drive all the functionality of an AHCI port (at least in the case of your mobo, etc.)
 
Back
Top